Marty - here's that texture . . .

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jackie Beckman

Marty - here's that texture . . .

Post by Jackie Beckman »

This is a link to the texture we talked about today. (Sorry Brad, for posting it here, but Marty's e-mail is down.) It's the first of three pieces that will be mounted to a single black powder-coated aluminum panel, each piece standing off the panel at least an inch to let light in.

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 46659b255a
Brock

Post by Brock »

Jackie, that's fantastic! Beautiful work. But, have you been holding that shield up against a punty grinder, or diamond disc on an arbor? You must have biceps of steel by now. You could do Rosie the Riveter for the calendar. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock wrote:Jackie, that's fantastic! Beautiful work. But, have you been holding that shield up against a punty grinder, or diamond disc on an arbor? You must have biceps of steel by now. You could do Rosie the Riveter for the calendar. Brock
Oh no, Brock! You know I'm too lazy for that! It's cheetin' technology developed right here in the desert. For me it's much easier to take the diamond to the glass than the glass to the diamond. My arms get too tired the other way.

Thanks, by the way-
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Jackie,

That is a beautiful piece. You have really developed your work. Wish I could see it up close.

Amy
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Wow--like some kind of tribal carved shield or something. Very cool! How big is the piece? Will you send out samples so we can feel that texture!
-A
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy, if you want a sample you'll just have to come visit. Actually, original Amy is due for a visit too. OK, I'll make you both samples - just come visit. (Did I mention it's in the 70s and sunny every day?)
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Jackie - I love that piece. How big is it?

Pam
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Yeah, I'll be there! It was 1 today and minus 25 wind chill. Yeah, I'll be there!

Amy
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Thanks Pammy. The piece alone is about 20" x 6" but I'm mounting three of them together (going up and down) to a powder-coated panel that will run sideways and be about 30" x 8". I plan on them standing of the mounting at least an inch, but probably more like 2 or three inches. All in in, it will be abot 30" x 8" x 5".

You are over due for a visit too, you know-

Jackie
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Thanks Jackie - You know I would be there in a heartbeat if I could be. For now, I'll just have to imagine what warmth feels like.
Can't wait to see a picture of the finished piece.

Pam
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

it's all about texture.... isn't it Jackie??? =P~
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Marty's email is down, isn't that great. Thanks for sharing because I'm inspired, I really want to tackle tribal like pieces as I have a facination for Papua New Guinea. - haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

All in in, it will be abot 30" x 8" x 5".
Oops! I didn't mean that, Pammy. I meant 30"W x 20"H x 5"D

(Wishes: If only numbers were colors, if only numbers were colors)
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Jackie: Your AMAZING me!!!! When I met you the first time in your studio, you were working with the stringers, etc. and told me that you had never cut glass and now look at your work!!!!!...... I AM SOOOO IMPRESSED (and green with envy). I may be coming out in June - can you set aside a day for me so I can watch what your doing??? Enjoy your warm weather - we're getting snow this weekend.
Your fan...... from the Great White North
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Cristi

Post by Cristi »

but what did you use to get that nifty texture?
thanks-cristi
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Jackie: Your AMAZING me!!!! When I met you the first time in your studio, you were working with the stringers, etc. and told me that you had never cut glass and now look at your work!!!!!...... I AM SOOOO IMPRESSED (and green with envy). I may be coming out in June - can you set aside a day for me so I can watch what your doing??? Enjoy your warm weather - we're getting snow this weekend.
Your fan...... from the Great White North
Oh for goodness sakes, Kathie - I still can't cut glass! I just work around that little handicap. Of course I'll save a day for you. Just let me know when.

Jackie
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Cristi wrote:but what did you use to get that nifty texture?
thanks-cristi
You can get texture lots of ways Cristi: a punty grinder, diamond disc on an arbor, lathe, air tool or probably even a dremel if you are a very, very patient person.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Tony Smith wrote:it's all about texture.... isn't it Jackie??? =P~
Well Tony, I'm learning more and more that yes it is.
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Tony: What was the name of that cloth that you used for your textured bowls that you showed me at the Conference??? And... where can I buy it?? Thanks
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Marty at Centre DeVerre is now selling it. He liked the texture so much he even set up its own website http://www.lavacloth.com

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun