i dont need NO STINKIN KILN WASH

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rodney

i dont need NO STINKIN KILN WASH

Post by rodney »

well, i guess i do,,,,,,,,,, i use BE and am pretty happy with it, i was getting some white stuff on the bottom, but i think it was because i needed to let it dry completely,,,,,,,,,, i had this thing i had to do the other day, and i ran out of shelves ( fiber board ) with the BE SHELF PRIMER already applied, so, i just tore some pieces of typing paper to put under the small jewelry pieces,,,and they came out perfect,,,,a little ash was all that was left, but the bottom was excellent,,,,,rodney
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

I got nice results with just play sand. I was slumping bottles for holiday gifts and used sand. I sprinkled a fine mist/layer on the surface and placed the bottles on the sand.

After the melt, the sand came off with my hand and a wire brush. Of course this left the bottom of the bottles a bit roughwhich did not matter in my case.

I will try the paper method, my kiln vents with a fan so I am not worried about any smoke.
Carol Silrum

Post by Carol Silrum »

Speaking of various kiln shelf applications etc. I was wondering if what I sometimes do is ok -- in a hurry to get a shelf ready I have coated it with BE primer, pop it in the microwave (6" shelf) for 2 mins. Then take a blow dryer to finish it off. I have never had a problem with this method and it gets the job done in a hurry.

Does anyone know of any reason why this isn't good :?:

I make jewelry, so will try the sand and paper method sometime too :!: