PMC & Kiln elements concerns

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

ruthelf1030

PMC & Kiln elements concerns

Post by ruthelf1030 »

Which leads to these questions:
The binders in the silver clay, I assume, are not metal and are said to burn off, right? I would not think they could hurt exposed elements, maybe.

If a piece of PMC got angry and flew off and hit/adherred to a kiln element, and the PMC is silver-metal of course, what happens then?

Was/is there a special reason behind embedding my Sierra PMC kiln elements in the walls so they are not exposed? during the design of the kiln.

Dumb question here (really dumb):
Should I be kiln washing the WHOLE inside of my Sierra 8" kiln considering the elements are embedded-not exposed, to safe guard all
6 sides of the inside of the kiln - if so, how many coats, thick or thin,
and does the liquid soak back as far as the elements (paranoid here).

Thanks for any answers,
Regards,
Ruth - central Minnesota cold front/snow so house bound & moody.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Ruth,
I am not sure what a Sierra 8" kiln is. Are the elements in a grove in fire brick or are they embeded into Fiber. If they are in fiber like the kilns that they sell for PCM they do not get coated.
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Hi Ruth...
I am fairly sure that Sierra makes the PMC kiln that Rio-Grande sells. I have two of these and have fired boyh PMC and glass in them regularly. The elements are enclosed as a fdunction of the design so that the whole heating chamber can be replaced at one time. When fuseing glass I use a 6"x6" shelf that I treat like the bottom of any kiln. Either kiln-wash it or thinfire whatever yo like. I should point out that when fireing PMC I try to vent the kiln a few times as the temperature increases since the binders give off an obnoxious odor and I do worry about contaminates collecting in the kiln.

I must say that for the money, you can't buy a better kiln when you consider that you are also getting a fully functional digital controller. I love mine!
Ron
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

The binders in PMC and Art Clay are organic and shouldn't be detrimental to your health or to your kiln.

This info comes from Mitsubishi Materials Corporation, the co. that makes PMC:

The organic binder is made from water soluble cellulose, surfactants, some oils and water. PMC is environmentally friendly throughout.

The Sierra Kiln is designed specifically to fire metal clay, but the good news is - it has an operator programmable 4th mode. This 4th mode can be programmed for glass firing.

I luv the fast turn around capabilities of my Sierra. If I need to get a custom piece made up quickly, I can take the PMC silver from design work to showcase ready piece of jewelry in 4-5 hours time. This includes the silver tumbling and preping other solder on components.

Typically, I spend a whole day working up the metal clay designs, let the PMC dry overnight and then fire a shelf full of pieces the next day. My pre-fired glass cabs are then bezel set onto the PMC. I haven't tried firing the glass cabs with the PMC, yet.

Ruth, just kiln wash your Sierra shelf or use thinfire paper as your seperator. You don't need to kiln wash the entire interior of the kiln.
ruthelf1030

Sierra Kiln

Post by ruthelf1030 »

Stuart, Ron and Gale,
Yes, it is the
Sierra PMC kiln (e-bay at a steal-looks to have never been used).
The elements are embedded in the kiln wall-cannnot see them, so
thanks for indicating the walls and door do not need kiln wash.
I kiln washed the fiber shelf and base of the kiln itself.
Programming the 4th choice on the kiln controller was why I bought it, plus the larger inside (compared to my 6 inch kiln). I understand that with the new ones from Rio Grande, the 4th program/ramp choice has 8 segments, it is an Orton according to
and rightfully so, by another member here. Found lots on the Orton
site, have not finished working up firing schedules for the 4th ramp
with 4 segment choices where each segment includes the change in
temp, the hold tempt and the time to hold at each segment. Am working
on that.
Thanks for the advise and the help - did not know the start to finish on a project involving glass and Pmc could go so fast! It was interesting also
to find out just what is in PMC!
Keep warm!
Ruth