Jen Ken vs Skutt

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Diane

Jen Ken vs Skutt

Post by Diane »

I know this has been debated before but I have a few questions.
I am trying to decide between
Jen Ken - Oval 13
and
Skutt GM 1414

The basic differences I can see are :
Skutt is SLIGHTLY larger (1 1/2"wider, 1/2"d&h)
the electrical draw is less on the Skutt (34.7amps vs 45amps)
Skutt comes with 13- 1" post
Skutt comes with the GlassMaster Digital controller, Jen Ken has the Bartlett 12-Key
JK comes with the 2 1/2" window

Are any of these features significant enough to make me choose one over the other? What are your thoughts between the two controllers? Customer service with either company?
I'm planning on calling Marty to ask his advise but wanted to run it by all of you first. This is alot of money for me to be spending so I want to make sure I'm getting the right one.
I value you're experience...PLEASE HELP...
Thanks, Diane :?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Diane-
I have a jen-ken 11'' hexagon and just love it. One of the features I find invaluable is the window and would highly recommend it. I have found their customer service to be good also.
-Tracy
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

I have an Jen Ken Oval 9 and definitely go for the deeper one. I love the window because i love to peek and I am not brave ( or dumb)enough to
lift that lid when firing.
The lid is heavy and I have had trouble with a shelf, but it could be me too!
good luck
Jeri, still trying to figure it all out
rodney

jen ken,,,,,,,WHAT NICE PEOPLE

Post by rodney »

i dont know know about other manufacturers, i have two jen ken kilns, and the people are great, excellent, numbero ono, the bestest of the best, i recommend their product as excellent and the PEOPLE as helpful, knowlegeable, and friendly

rodney
candala

Post by candala »

Rodney, Jeri and Tracey -- which Jen Ken are you referring to that is so good (I'm in the market) for glass fusing and slumping. Would you say that the "Mini Fuse Kiln" 11" x 6 1/2" from Marty's site is it? :roll:
cindyj

Post by cindyj »

I have Jen Ken 18" oval and am pleased. Bought it through Marty with great service and help to get it up and running. The top element gave out in January and when I called Jen Ken they took my serial number and had a new element out to me in 3 days.

Cindy
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Jen Ken vs Skutt

Post by Brad Walker »

Diane wrote:I am trying to decide between
Jen Ken - Oval 13
and
Skutt GM 1414

The basic differences I can see are :
Skutt is SLIGHTLY larger (1 1/2"wider, 1/2"d&h)
the electrical draw is less on the Skutt (34.7amps vs 45amps)
Skutt comes with 13- 1" post
Skutt comes with the GlassMaster Digital controller, Jen Ken has the Bartlett 12-Key
JK comes with the 2 1/2" window

Are any of these features significant enough to make me choose one over the other? What are your thoughts between the two controllers? Customer service with either company?
I don't think that any of those features are significant enough to by themselves make you choose one brand over the other. The Skutt is slightly larger, but the Jen-Ken is more powerful. The GlassMaster controller is a bit easier to operate. The window is nice, but it will fog up and become useless after several years (at least mine has!).

Bottom line: Both companies make very good kilns and both are known for their service. I don't think you would regret choosing either one. (And Marty at Centre de Verre has excellent service, too.)
Diane

Post by Diane »

Thanks everyone for your advise. I talked to Marty last night and I think I've decided to go with the Jen Ken. I like the idea of the window and he has one IN STOCK (quicker delivery) Now I just have to make room for it.
I can't WAIT :lol:
Diane