Xerography question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mcowdery

Xerography question

Post by mcowdery »

:?: Help! I read the article Wallace Venable wrote about using laser waterslide decal paper to include a photographic image into a fused glass piece,and I tried to use this method. I got the laser decal paper from Micro Mark and using a toner based copier to copy a black and white image onto the paper, and then I transfered the decal image onto my piece of bullseye glass,let it dry completely, put another piece of bullseye glass on top (so the image was sandwiched between the layers,) then fired it using a typical fusing firing schedule in the kiln, and when it was done, the black and white image disappeared completely!It wasn't just faint, it was gone! Please , someone out there tell me what went wrong, was it something I did wrong or could it be that the ink in the copy machine was not the right type??I will appreciate the help. Thanks, Melinda melindaart@charter.net
Hugo Gavarini

Post by Hugo Gavarini »

Melinda,

I think the culprit might be the TONER composition.

I suggest you to read all this thread:

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3775

Hope this helps,
Hugo
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

I would think it is a toner issue. I have successfully used two HP printer toners and a Xerox toner. It is, of course, impossible for me to test all of the toners on the market.

I would appreciate email (or posts) providing information on success or failure with specific products.

Definitely works for me:

HP LaserJet 4P printer
Wally Venable, Student of glass