clear BE irid... qestion

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauralei

clear BE irid... qestion

Post by Lauralei »

Hi there - sorry to bother you guys but I've searched for this in the archives and apparently I'm the only person who has a hard time telling the irid side on clear BE irid glass. When I was at Corning last year it was described as the "side that had a bit of a drag" indicating the metallic coating - but I've heard it described as the "rougher" side too. I am not getting it and some recent work is inconsistant due to this problem. Can you share any observations with me - besides disbelief? Ha - thanks - Lauralei
Lauralei
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

I just looked at a sample of BE clear irid. Run your fingers over the glass and feel for a texture, the smoothest side has the irid coating. The non irid side will have a slight pebble finish.

Ron
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Another test, slide your fingers over the glass surface quickly like you're sanding wood.

The irid side will make a sound like sanding (if your hands are dry and rough) the non irid side will be almost silent.

Ron again
Lauralei

Post by Lauralei »

Thanks a million Ron! that is a huge help!
Lauralei
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

Take a shape pencil and put the point on the surface of the glass. If the refection of the pencil touches the tip that is the irid side, if there is a space then that is the non-irid side. Do it once then feel the difference sides and you will suddenly see the difference. Thank you Brock.

Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

I also use the "point" method for telling the iridized or dichro side of glass. I find a pin or very fine point tweezers works better for me than pencil points. Once you see it, it IS very obvious--the difference between looking AT the surface, vs. looking THROUGH the glass.
Deb