How much do you pay a woman for...

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry flanary

How much do you pay a woman for...

Post by jerry flanary »

Well now that you are looking:
I have an artist who would like me to kilncast some 14" greenbeans for her. I want to drop off the ready waxes with an excellent local caster (the woman in the subject message) and then get the rough pieces of glass from her and do the finish work myself. Do you have experience with pricing this kind of job? I want to give the caster a fair price but I don't know what to offer. And she has never done any mercenary glass work either. Is this like a foundry gig $x/pound? Any good info would be appreciated.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
watershed

Post by watershed »

Lhotsky studio in Czech republic, charges $40 a pound, more for lead, but that includes minimal cold work and air freight to the US. MIn order $1-2000.

Greg
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Wow, that's a pretty good price considering frieght. Especially if you were west coast. Thanks for the answer. Do you think the subject heading is too risque for this board? Or are there just not many glass mercenaries over here?
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

The Czechs can charge by the pound because they specialize in huge stuff, like Karen LaMonte's work. I think she's going to get hosed if she charges by the pound for green beans. I would charge for the job as a whole by figuring up the costs including anticipated failures and adding profit. I wouldn't tell the client how I got to that price.

I think it's something you're going to have to just work out between you. Every job is different until you are doing a production line.

ch