Fiber Board from Warm Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ellen Demko

Fiber Board from Warm Glass

Post by Ellen Demko »

Failing memory is a bummer! Some time ago I bought thick fiber board and it has languished on a shelf. Now need a particular size drop out mold and this product would seem ideal. Can't remember about the pre-firing needs, and whether kiln wash is necessary. I await the answers I know are out there :oops: Thanks.
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

Is it the Keiser Lee ?
If so, I don't pre-fire, just cut and smooth with my fingers.
Wear a mask :)

Me Kim
Ellen Demko

Post by Ellen Demko »

I don't think it's Kaiser-Lee. The material I have was purchased from Warm Glass but don't see it listed as available now. Am hoping it has the same characteristics as the Kaiser-Lee; may just have to wing it and see what happens. Feel pretty sure this material needed to be prefired. Thanks for replying! Ellen
Leon Milmeyster

Post by Leon Milmeyster »

I started to prefire the boards, the fumes from organic binders most likely will streak the clear glass during the first firing. Make sure the kiln is vented and the area has ventilation, the fumes are nasty. I usually rigidize the board at the same time. I found that it easier to work with the board before you burn the organic binders, the particles in the board stays together better but if you want softer edges on your design than you can fire it first.

Leon
Leon Milmeyster
Captured Luminescence
Glass Art Studio
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Ellen,

Could it be Cermaguard?

If so, it should be prefired to 1425 or so.

Also, use kiln wash on it.

Judy
Pam Kissel

Post by Pam Kissel »

I have used an alumina wash on my board before firing. This makes the board more durable and strong. Then fire to 1250 to cure.
Pam at Blue Flame Studio!!
Ellen Demko

Post by Ellen Demko »

Judy Schnabel wrote:Ellen,

Could it be Cermaguard?

If so, it should be prefired to 1425 or so.

Also, use kiln wash on it.

Judy
Thanks, Judy. I searched old papers and confirmed I had bought ceramaguard and that prefiring was necessary but still wasn't sure about the need for using kiln wash.

(Pam - Alumina wash is new to me; will certainly check that out.

I do appreciate all the input and will carry on with more confidence. Ellen