How do you sign(signature) glass.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bryan

How do you sign(signature) glass.

Post by Bryan »

I have worked with metal and wood for years and signing the art piece
is easy. Does the average artist sign a fused piece? If so with what??
Signature on the back of the fused art I assume.

Thanks
BZody

(Great forum/Web site, many kind folks)
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I sign mine, engraved on the back with a flair!. I use an engraving tool made by dremel. It is a jackhammer tool rather than a spinner. I used to use the good ol' rpm dremel with a diamond bit...but I like this tool better and it was under $20. I like that I don't have to replace the bit...or haven't had to yet anyway.

Either works well enough if you want to gouge or grind, in a controlled and scriptlike fashion, your name into your piece.
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Also A "white out" works well on black capped with clear, I learned it doesnt burn away while firing some black Irr coasters, Irr side or back will work, although Id say the dremmel would look better and more professional.

Tyler
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Thanks. I own a small dremel. Other suggestions would still
be appreciated.

BZody
charlie

Post by charlie »

i sign the backs of items with gold luster using a kemper pen. you can also get the same fluid in an inkpen from ceramics places.
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

I use a Craftsman engraver from Sears that had originally been used to initial various tools. It's probably at least 25-30 years old, and to my knowledge the tip is original. It makes a nice fine line on smooth and lightly textured surfaces, but it's fairly large and has a powerful spin, so it took a bit of practice to keep it under control. (It took me a lot of jumps and spin-outs before I got the hang of it!) I think Inland, or one of the other grinder manufacturers, makes a little tool for engraving fine lines. It's basically just a small diamond ball burr in a motorized handle. But if you already have a Dremel tool, you can get diamond burrs from Rio Grande or MicroMark.
Also, I don't know if any artists out there are using something like it, but I love the look of the stamp that Oceana presses into the edges of their sheet glass.
Marty

Post by Marty »

AVLucky wrote:Also, I don't know if any artists out there are using something like it, but I love the look of the stamp that Oceana presses into the edges of their sheet glass.
Kind of hard to do with kilnformed work.

I haven't seen Oceana in years, and wouldn't buy it back in stained glass days because the sheets were so small and they took up too much usable space with the stamped logo.