How would you handle this Gallery/Artist situation?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Amy Schleif-Mohr

How would you handle this Gallery/Artist situation?

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to submit to some juried exhibitions this year. There are certian pieces I would like to submit but they are currently at a gallery that is near me. Should I pull them out now? Or just tell the gallery owner what I'm doing and if the piece is selected into the show then I pull it. How would you handle this.

A little back ground on the gallery I'm dealing with. It's been in business for like 35 years. They consistantly sell Picasso's and other big names like that. I'm not intimidated by them, they are very easy to work with, I just want to be professional.

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Tell them now, that the possibility exists you may have to remove that work if you're accepted into the show. Try and get another piece(s) for them. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

would it enhance the value of the pieces for them to be in this exhibition? if so, the gallery would probably go along with your request to borrow them back for the show. lots of good artwork has a resume of where it has been shown, or who owned it.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

So what do you plan to do if the pieces are accepted into the show, but sell in the meantime?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Ha, Brad that was the other quandry! I think that honesty is the best here so I'll probably just call them and talk to them to see how they feel. The deadline for the show isn't until April 1 so I do have time to make a piece. If I can't use the one I wanted to.

Thanks everyone,
Amy
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Kitty wrote:would it enhance the value of the pieces for them to be in this exhibition? if so, the gallery would probably go along with your request to borrow them back for the show. lots of good artwork has a resume of where it has been shown, or who owned it.
But what if you "borrowed" it for the show and it sold at the show, would you owe the gallery their cut?

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Well I talked to the gallery owner about what I wanted to do with the piece. I think I'm going to either make a new piece for the juried exhibition or make the gallery a new piece of the same or greater value to trade out. I talked to him about the purpose of entering in the show and who was the juror and he agreed with the whole concept.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Amy