helP asaP

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

helP asaP

Post by slats »

is it possible to use 3 BE strings on a 12X12 piece of float? Are strings and frit Bulleye so incompatible with float if used in tiny quantity??????Waiting for an answer before closing kiln.....Thanks
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Doctac,

Well, float is normally 82 to 84COE and BE is 90COE - they don't match at all. Stringers are very thin but not as thin as powders. You are always taking a chance when adding non-compatible glasses together because they don't go together. Float glass doesn't cost as much as BE but your time (also kiln time) is worth something and if it breaks away then you have wasted this. It's your glass and your time so it's up to you to do tests. Make your own stringers using Thompson enamels with your float glass then you can have the correct glass match.

Good luck.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

A few weeks ago I took a few 6 x 6 squares of float, and liberally sprinkled them with Spectrum frit, and went up to fuse. Not only are they still whole, but the polarized view shows no stress. I am under no illusions that the COE is the same, but since the frit are tiny pieces of glass, they will expand and contract in proportion to their size, which means they don't fight with the base piece much. Now watch them break tomorrow!
I'd go for it.
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

For what it's worth, (I tend to do a lot of unconventional things), here is my input:

I have tried quite a few times to use small amounts of BE powders on float with mixed results. I have a piece that has been sitting here for over a year and is just now starting to show signs of incompatibility (tiny crinkles/cracks on the surface). It looked fine for almost a whole year before the these crinkles started showing up. (I am using VERY small amounts....very lightly sifting) Some pieces showed stress right away.

I also have a lot of powders left over from my glassblowing days that I have used on float with various results. Some of them seem compatible but after a while (+6 months) they start showing signs of stress. Don't know the COE of my powders (from glassblowing-10 yrs old) but some of them seem OK with Starphire glass. I have a nice piece that I used liberal amounts of Celedon on Starphire that is 3 yrs old and shows no signs of stress. (Guess I should actually look up the COE of Starphire!?)

Stress/incompatibility does not always show up right away in my experience.
slats

stringers

Post by slats »

Thanks for all your help.....I'd hate to sell something and then have it break later on.................Don't need another reason not to sleep at night :roll:
Dennis Brady

Post by Dennis Brady »

Why not make your own stringers from Armstrong glass that IS compatible with float?
DeBrady Glass Ltd http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass http://www.vicartglass.com
Glass Campus online classes http://www.glasscampus.com
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Glenda--earthquakes?

#-o
Deb
slats

Post by slats »

glenda,...............move
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

been here 8 yrs and only felt 1 quake so far......(knocked me off my toilet one nite) but no glass breakage so far. Guess I'm too stupid to be scared of them. Been thru some really bad hurricanes in Texas (lived there for over 30 yrs)...now that's scarey!

Anyway, I'm here at the studio today 'playing' on my day off. Trying to come up with enough different pieces to fill up the big oven and make it worth the cost of running. It is a 5' x 10' kiln and really needs to be full to justify running it. I usually work with float but today I am going to make myself work with BE, so not only is the glass more expensive, but I have to have enough pieces to fill the oven. (oh, I know, you all feel sooooo sorry for me don't you.) It wouldn't be so hard if I was doing production but I really want to try a bunch of different things but also be aware that whatever I put in the oven needs to be somewhat alike so my schedule will work with all the pieces.

later-going to see how many circles I can cut without breaking any. (That's lots of circles if I want to fill up the oven!)

sorry, I guess this ramble should be in Spab's place-mods, can you fix that for me :lol:

glenda