what happened to my dollar bill

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

joeat

what happened to my dollar bill

Post by joeat »

Tried the dollar bill between to clear pieces. Came out with big air bubble
a little negative image on back side but that's all. Thought it would look
better that this. Or is this what i am to expect? http://community.webshots.com/photo/116 ... 1706Ykzvsm
Help appreciated.
John
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

I did the same thing and got great results. The dollar bill shrunk about 1/3 and stretched apart.I have been doing many types of float glass tests with various insertions.

I too will get some ocassional buble witth nothing but ash left over. This is caused by gas (CO, CO2, ?) given off in a reducing atmosphere. The glass will seal first on the outside as it heats up and trap gas within.

What temp did you go to?

Mike
joeat

Post by joeat »

Thanks for the help. I fired to a temp of 1485, i may try raising the top piece at the corners so the air will escape, i read that it allows the air, gas to escape before it fully fuses.
john
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Maybe you should embrace your result and do an installation of 100 of those. If you were trying to make that bubble you wouldn't be able to do it :wink: I think that burnt money has much more meaning and metaphore than just a buck sandwiched in glass. Plus, even if you succede in altering the glass so that it flattens out- I think you will still end up w/ a burnt unrecognizable piece of litter. There is so much oil in those printing inks. It never really dries. Probably the only way to pull this kind of stunt is at the furnace incalmo w/ two cups. I've seen a whole book done this way with little burning. But it was a very clay impregnated paper...
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

I tried doing this with leaves a while back, with disappointing results. Fresh green leaves burnt up the most and created the biggest bubble. Even after pressing and drying them for weeks, I still had a small bubble, and barely a skeleton of the original leaf. I would think that if you raised the corners to allow gas to escape, you'd burn up your buck even faster. Not to mention...
There is so much oil in those printing inks. It never really dries.
The more moisture you've got in there, the bigger the bubble.
Maybe you should try this with pennies. :wink: