Decal Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kelly alge

Decal Question

Post by kelly alge »

I was asked to make 500 keychains as mini prizes for a triathalon- I will need to use decals to put their logo on them- I've never used decals on glass before, but I see that you can custom order them from Wale Apparatus- Anyone have any great tips or experience with the fire on decals?

-not such a decal or keychain girl
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Bert Weiss

Re: Decal Question

Post by Bert Weiss »

kelly alge wrote:I was asked to make 500 keychains as mini prizes for a triathalon- I will need to use decals to put their logo on them- I've never used decals on glass before, but I see that you can custom order them from Wale Apparatus- Anyone have any great tips or experience with the fire on decals?

-not such a decal or keychain girl
Get ceramoic decals instead of glass. They should fire in between 1380 and 1510 F. Get a squeegee to adhere them. Test and go for it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I bought lots of ceramic decals on eBay and made Christmas ornaments by simply fusing them on a single thickness of Spectrum 96 white. I cut out circles and ovals of various sizes (depending on the decal), soaked the decals in the (basement) bathroom sink and slipped them onto the glass. Make sure they're wrinkle-free and let them dry overnight.

I have fused them both in my Quickfire and in my ceramic kiln with no problems. (Drilled holes and hung them with fishing line.)

For keychains I suppose a double thickness of glass would be preferable.

Kaye
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Kaye:
you fire the decals on the glass? I have yet to see glass with decals. Sounds interesting.
Kim
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

Thanks for all the help & those who emailed me off the board, too. One more question... why do ceramic decals work better than ones made for glass? This all reminds me of building pinewood derby cars- (ghost from the past)
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider