Warm Glass conference -- hotel poll

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Which hotel do you prefer?

Hotel A -- less expensive, more limited local area
35%
Hotel B -- more expensive, nicer conference area
34%
Either hotel would be fine
31%
Neither hotel
No votes

Total votes: 68

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Warm Glass conference -- hotel poll

Post by Brad Walker »

I am looking at two possible hotels for this conference. Both are Doubletrees and both are in the DC area. Both are very good facilities, but there are some differences.

Hotel A is on the beltway, costs $89 per night (plus tax), and is two miles from a DC metro stop (shuttle is provided by the hotel). There are limited eating and shopping places within walking distance, but they are available within a few miles (shuttle provided by the hotel). Parking at the hotel is free.

Hotel B is near (not on) the beltway, costs $129 per night (plus tax), and is located on a DC metro stop. It has a much nicer lobby and conference facilities, but the sleeping rooms are similar. Alternative eating and shopping places are within walking distance or by hotel shuttle or metro. Parking at the hotel costs $7.50 per day.

Please let me know if you have a preference for one hotel over the other.
Last edited by Brad Walker on Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beth

Post by Beth »

As a DC area resident (in Maryland) I'm not going to vote but think that the location could make a difference, and could be worth the extra bucks. (Maybe with roommates?)

Just an Example: in Bethesda the Hyatt is on the Metro line and within walking distance of a couple hundred restaurants, outdoor cafes, clubs, bookstores, theaters with non-trad. movies, the famous Glass Gallery, and so on. It's a community, lots going on.

Go a few miles further out into some parts of Rockville and it's strictly Suburbia - drive to everything - no easy walk-around-and-get-together places (though still some great non-chain restaurants).

I'm not saying at all that these are cities Brad would consider, just that in general an interesting area that's foot friendly would add to the conference. Unless since people will be glassing day and night, it isn't that important.

Just something to think about.

Beth
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brad, it's great that you're still considering hosting this conference. If everyone could respond to the choices offered it would probably make your job easier. I vote for the cheaper hotel, after all we're not coming for restaurants and theatres, we're coming to meet our community of glass artists, and to further our education. The slight difference in amenities is not worth another $40.00 per night to me. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Beth

Post by Beth »

I wasn't adding to Brad's list, Brock. Just using this location as an example (which I said). Some people told me that part of what made last year's conference more fun for them was that Portland was a walking around city, and that there were neat places, restaurants, etc. to visit. Some people like that. I also said maybe it wasn't important.

Sorry that voicing a thought was inappropriate and annoyed you. I won't do it again.

Beth
Brock

Post by Brock »

Good. Thanks. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

One of the best parts of the last conference was the ability to gather in the evening with the fellow participants. I think that the most important part of whichever hotel is a gathering area. IMHO. I could sleep in a dorm or a tent, but, if possible, I'd rather pay more and have one with a place to sit and chat and schmooze and make friends. (Of course, I'd rather pay less and have the same :D ).

Thanks, Brad. I've been hoping you'd do this again! I haven't committed ALL my vacation time for the year yet, so it's good to know I need to save some.

Linda
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

My vote is for the cheaper hotel :)

Also, anybody out there that would want to consider sharing a room?

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Since I live in the DC metro area cost isn't such an issue but some other considerations might be, proximity to airports. With the collapse of the telecom industry, there are great deals/places in the Tyson's, Dulles corridor (my northern Virginia bias) although Bethesda is great - lotsa great restaurants!

Classes of interest: Mold Making; Cold working in general, sandblasting in particular.

Its a great idea, can't wait, I'm starting to fill my piggy bank tonight!
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Brad,

Of course, I'd like the cheaper room, but the last time I was in Portland,
I had a similar situation with the metro stop being 1 or 2 miles away from
the hotel. The hotel shuttle took me to the metro stop where I waited
in the cold and rain for almost an hour for the right route to come by.

On the way back, I rode to the same metro stop and then had to call
the hotel for a ride. Again, I waited almost an hour in the bad weather.
It was almost dark when the shuttle came, and I was beginning to be
a bit anxious for my safety since I was alone and pretty small at that.

How much better it would have been to have a metro stop at the hotel
door. This was a day after the conference ended, and I was alone.
I really enjoyed my visits to the galleries. I will never forget the look
on a policeman's face when I asked, "Sir, can you tell me where the
Real Mother Goose is?" I was afraid he was going to take me in and
lock me up. When I told him again what I was looking for and that it
was a gallery, he shook his head in disbelief and walked off. It turned
out I was l l/2 blocks from it at the time I asked him for directions.

I also like the idea of better conference facilities, but I'll take either
hotel if I can just get to the WGW.

Nita
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

while I shouldn't vote, let me just say that my preference is the less expensive hotel. Even though I live in the area, I would probably come stay at the hotel just to be close to everyone (and to avoid a commute to Maryland). The proximity of things isn't as important to me, and in the Beltway area getting around in a car isn't all that difficult. For many of us, keeping costs down is always a consideration.
barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Cindy next door

Hotels

Post by Cindy next door »

Anything is great for me.
Cindy next door
ernest porcelli

rooms

Post by ernest porcelli »

if u don' t do price line shame on u ep
-EP
Bert Weiss

Re: rooms

Post by Bert Weiss »

ernest porcelli wrote:if u don' t do price line shame on u ep
Ernest

Priceline won't work for a conference. The idea is to stay in the same hotel and hang out. The money you save will cost you glassy time.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Marty

response to the poll

Post by Marty »

'Splain this: almost 650 hits on this poll and only 58 responses?!?!!
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Brad (and everyone else): I'm at a computer in Houston, so as I am totally a computer dunce, please put my vote in the cheaper hotel. I loved last year's hotel, but as the Canadian dollar is only worth half yours ( :evil: ) the room ended up costing me quite a bit. I had great sleeps cuz I was exhausted from the day, but really didn't need such lavious surroundings in my room. I think the really great thing for me was the fact that we could meet to eat in the hotel for breakfast or after the day. Thanks again
Kathie from Calgary (oops, I mean Houston.)