Fusing float glass with Spectrum 96??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AZ gram

Fusing float glass with Spectrum 96??

Post by AZ gram »

I'm soooo new to this and doing lots of experimenting. Just tried some 96 stingers and frit on float glass and it seems to be a success. Will it perhaps break later? :?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

It could break tonight, or it could break next year... but float and 96 are not compatible and you will eventually start seeing cracks or crazing along the edges of the 96 glass.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
BillBrach

Post by BillBrach »

I think most float is between 84 and 88 COE. Yes, you will have a problem eventually.

If you had known 88 float, then I'd suggest using BE with it in small surface quantities.
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

How do you guys feel about just tack fusing the stringers, etc. to the float (or even anything else not compatible to the stringers)??? Do you still think there will be stress cracks later on?? Example: BE stringers tacked fused to Spectrum glass.... :-k
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com