seascapes-making waves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

vidrio

seascapes-making waves

Post by vidrio »

I'm trying to get a sea scape going.

I am living in surfer land in Costa Rica and am trying to make some waves
on tiles. I've tried stringer, slim slices of opaque, and opaque frit. It's not too bad looking, but not quite what I want. Any ideas?
dcglass

Making waves...

Post by dcglass »

Yes! Take some glass opaque or better yet cathedral and just cut some wavy lines with your cutter and carefully work the glass tool along the lines to make it run...poof you have waves (and maybe some scrap).
Donna :)
vidrio

Re: Making waves...

Post by vidrio »

HI Thanks for your input.

I've lampworked some stringer and that looks pretty cool too.

The opaque waves are trapping huge amounts of air and sometimes making interesting bubbles and at other times disaters. I think I'll try fullfusing with them on top of top glass. Also trying some tack fusing today. Let's see.

When you suggest transparents rather than opaque, do you mean dark transparents over clear base?

Thanks
dcglass wrote:Yes! Take some glass opaque or better yet cathedral and just cut some wavy lines with your cutter and carefully work the glass tool along the lines to make it run...poof you have waves (and maybe some scrap).
Donna :)
Mira

Post by Mira »

Hi Vidrio,

So, you're in Costa Rica? Where are you? I've thought of coming to Costa Rica myself. What kind of access to glass and supplies do you have?

Mira