Monthly fee

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Katy Mattice

Monthly fee

Post by Katy Mattice »

I have a gallery/store that beginning March 1, 04 is charging a monthly fee of 20.00, along with increasing the percent from 30-35 or 40%. I have never heard of a monthly fee, and am wondering if anyone else has run into it?
Thanks,
Katy
K.Mattice
Marty

Post by Marty »

More common with rent-a-shelf places or co-ops.

Are they offering a share of the profits? Do you want to be in a partnership or just show your work? The percentage increase is not unreasonable but I'd leave before paying part of their overhead (outside of part of my sales).

Just say no (thanks).
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I agree with Marty.

A monthly fee is something I've not run into at a gallery before, unless it was a co-op. Perhaps they're trying to weed out the artists whose work isn't selling, but want to show it there anyway.

A 40% commission is good in today's market. However, I'd pass on that monthly fee arrangement myself, unless they were selling a ton of work for me every month.

Geri
Goldfinger

Monthly fee

Post by Goldfinger »

Most places around here charge around 20% with no monthly fee.

Steve
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

In Tulsa, OK there was a gallery that charged a percentage and also a monthley fee. It was not a coop or a partnership. Many artists pulled out. The gallery is no longer here.

Paula
Dani

Post by Dani »

I've had two little consignment galleries, and if I ever had a third one, I'd just buy the work wholesale for a price that is fair to the artist and that I could mark up at least double to cover my expenses and make a small profit. Come to think of it, if I ever had a restaurant, I'd just charge enough to pay my employees a decent wage so they didn't have to rely on tips to make a living. Somehow, that just seems more wholesome and ultimately fair to me.... especially to the artists and to the waitstaff who sometimes seems to get the short end with the generally accepted set-up.
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

Dani,
Just say no to thew restaurant business. I was in it many years and actually sold mine to become the starving , but happier, artist. There were
many times I envied the money the waitstaff went home with. If it is a nice restaurant, great tips and no overhead and you leave the job when you walk out the door. Staffing was always a -itch, but I did love the customers.
Jeri