Steel Blue and SuperSpray

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SAReed

Steel Blue and SuperSpray

Post by SAReed »

I have a 15" round steel blue disk fired that matured into silver, which is what I wanted. I now have to put the design on top and fire that. I noticed some devit flakes in the silver and my question is if I use SuperSpray over this silver, will I lose any of the silver color? The silver does not feel smooth like fired glass does and I'm wondering if the silver is from devit. If it is, then using SuperSpray will revert it back to blue, right?

It's sitting in my kiln as I type, awaiting your answers.

Thanks.
Stacey
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I have never supersprayed the steel blue, but since capping it with clear gives you the blue when re-fired, I am guessing that superspray will do the same.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Geri Comstock

Re: Steel Blue and SuperSpray

Post by Geri Comstock »

SAReed wrote:I have a 15" round steel blue disk fired that matured into silver, which is what I wanted. I now have to put the design on top and fire that. I noticed some devit flakes in the silver and my question is if I use SuperSpray over this silver, will I lose any of the silver color? The silver does not feel smooth like fired glass does and I'm wondering if the silver is from devit. If it is, then using SuperSpray will revert it back to blue, right?

Thanks.
Steel blue strikes to silver when fired. This is completely normal and isn't devit. If you put SuperSpray on it, it should revert back to blue. If you don't apply it evenly, you may have a mottled blue and silver surface. Been there, done that.

Geri
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

Thanks Barbara and Geri! I'll leave it as is and see how the second firing goes. [-o<
Stacey
charlie

Re: Steel Blue and SuperSpray

Post by charlie »

Geri Comstock wrote:
SAReed wrote:I have a 15" round steel blue disk fired that matured into silver, which is what I wanted. I now have to put the design on top and fire that. I noticed some devit flakes in the silver and my question is if I use SuperSpray over this silver, will I lose any of the silver color? The silver does not feel smooth like fired glass does and I'm wondering if the silver is from devit. If it is, then using SuperSpray will revert it back to blue, right?

Thanks.
Steel blue strikes to silver when fired. This is completely normal and isn't devit. If you put SuperSpray on it, it should revert back to blue. If you don't apply it evenly, you may have a mottled blue and silver surface. Been there, done that.

Geri
how did this come out? if you wait a week or so, you can see my magless, where i took advantage of this effect. i'd post an image now, but that would ruin the surprise.