Whatewash as Kiln Wash?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Wallace Venable

Whatewash as Kiln Wash?

Post by Wallace Venable »

I've been reading a book on "Prehistory and History of Glass Technology." We know that much early glass art was kilnworked from pieces traded internationally as ingots.

In the book it is stated that the crucibles in which glass ingots were made were frequently lined with lime. Also that in crucible fragments lime is often found between the ceramic pot and residule glass.

This got me to wondering about the possible uses of "whitewash" as a shelf wash or separator in glass work. Anyone have any experiences or tales to relate?
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Bert Weiss

Re: Whatewash as Kiln Wash?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Wallace Venable wrote:I've been reading a book on "Prehistory and History of Glass Technology." We know that much early glass art was kilnworked from pieces traded internationally as ingots.

In the book it is stated that the crucibles in which glass ingots were made were frequently lined with lime. Also that in crucible fragments lime is often found between the ceramic pot and residule glass.

This got me to wondering about the possible uses of "whitewash" as a shelf wash or separator in glass work. Anyone have any experiences or tales to relate?
Calciun carbonate, also called whiting is used as a seperator for stained glass painting, firing to 1250ºF. I believe that it gets sticky at hotter temps.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions