Dichro question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jon Wunderlich

Dichro question

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Hi all,

I would like to do a round piece with a thin black rim by cutting the black (bottom) piece a little larger and fusing face down. I am planning on using a couple of dichroic elements and was wondering if I can fuse the dichro upside down without ruining it? Does kiln wash stick to it any more than other glass? Would shelf paper be better to use than wash?
Thanks,

Jon
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i have made jewelry with the dichro side down (facing the kilnwash) and never noticed any problem. i have done this with BE kilnwash, and also with my mix of 50/50 alumina hydrate and kaolin. the dichro i use is all made by CBS.
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

In the pieces I've done, the dichroic comes out just fine when it's fired face-down. In fact, it probably has less of a sticking risk than plain glass. Same with irid: I've heard of people who do large scale flat pieces and always use face-down irid as a base, just for its cleanness.
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Thanks Kitty & AVLucky,

Didn't want to experiment with this pricey glass.

Jon