Stringer Storage

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Steve Immerman

Stringer Storage

Post by Steve Immerman »

I'm trying to figure out a good way to store a gazillion stringers that I pulled in the glory hole. I'm thinking that if I could find some clear plastic tubing, like the "store bought" stringers come in I could make my own holders. So far, I haven't been able to find anything like that. Anybody have any ideas for a source for this? Or a better idea for storage?

Thanks.

Steve
Richard Sinning

Local Home center

Post by Richard Sinning »

Head for the home store and pick up some pieces of plastice pvc pipe and caps. Glue the caps on the end and voila, storage for stringers. A little strap hanger and they could be hung anywhere
Richard
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

I had thought of that, but the PVC pipe I have is white. Does it come in a transparent PVC? I was kind of hoping to be able to see the colors.

Steve
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Tubes and Caps aka clear mailing tubes.

http://www.uline.com/Group_74.asp

I've seen longer ones too.

Ron
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Here's some more. Maybe a little less expensive. Check out the square tubes 2x24. They're on sale for .99 each. http://www.jcdanczak.com/our_products/cat_7.html

They sell hanging caps too which may be a good storage option.
dee

Post by dee »

Steve Immerman wrote:I had thought of that, but the PVC pipe I have is white. Does it come in a transparent PVC? I was kind of hoping to be able to see the colors.

Steve
steve, being an unreformed packrat, i believe i have a bunch of dichroic frit tubes - would these help? andyes, they are clear and have caps on both ends....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
camaro

Stringers

Post by camaro »

Just a thought, I use clear tubing with plasic chair end caps, you can get the clear tubing various diameters. They work for me.
camaro
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Dee - I need something at last a couple of feet long. Three feet might be best.

Camaro - do you mean flexible tubing?The shipping tubes might work, I just wish the were longer and narrower....

Steve
Gordon Exon

stringer storage

Post by Gordon Exon »

the tubes they sell for shop vacuum systems are clear. i don't know about the economics but clearly the source is there
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

How about going to a housewares shop and buying storage for spaghetti noddles?

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Alecia:
I like that idea!!
Kim
Robyn Alexander

Post by Robyn Alexander »

Steve Immerman wrote:Dee - I need something at last a couple of feet long. Three feet might be best.

Camaro - do you mean flexible tubing?The shipping tubes might work, I just wish the were longer and narrower....

Steve
Tap Plastics sells plastic tubes 36" long. You can see them at:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=274&
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Steve, Did you ever think of making your own out of plastic or acrylic sheets? This place seems to have the stuff http://www.plaskolite.com/optix-acrylic-sheet.htm
I don't have time right now to do a good search need to be someplace in 20 minutes. Maybe use a broom stick or something as your guide gor size You could buy the caps. Nanc
Bellknap

PVC pipe display

Post by Bellknap »

Ok, don't look at the mess around it, but this is how I store my rods for lampworking. I bet you could use the same for your stringers. If you lay them on their side your stringer could hang out a little so you could see what you had easily. I got these at Home Depot and they cut them for me for free. Lydia of OhioImage
charlie

Post by charlie »

Steve Immerman wrote:I had thought of that, but the PVC pipe I have is white. Does it come in a transparent PVC? I was kind of hoping to be able to see the colors.

Steve
they make clear pvc, but it's hideously expensive, as compared to white pvc.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Steve -

Maybe a local plastics store might have something you could use. Here in CA we have Tapp Plastics and they have all kinds of strange plastic stuff that anyone could possibly want. I don't know if this is a national chain, though.

Geri
Peg

Post by Peg »

I use empty tins than bottles of fine brandy and whisky come in.
Several of them.

Only downside is getting rid of the bottle and contents therein...