combing/frit?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

StaceyG

combing/frit?

Post by StaceyG »

Hi,
I am a newbie. I was wondering if a similar technique to combing could be achieved by laying down stripes of frit powder and "combing" them prior to capping and fusing?

If anyone has any other helpful tips on how to use powder, I'd appreciate it.

thanks!
Stacey
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Sure, why not. Give it a try and post the results!

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Bellknap

Combing

Post by Bellknap »

Staci,
I wouldn't use a normal combing instrument as all you will get is a cut line through the frit. Try using a brush so that you drag lines a sections down in a combing fashing, or even try gently tapping the backside in certain areas. Let us know how it turned out.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

it doesnt work as well as you might think. i thought i could apply techniques similar to those used in making marbled paper, that is, dragging a comb thru blobs of color, or stripes, and achieve a combed effect. the frit didnt comb the way i anticipated. so, i think the best results are achieved combing hot glass instead.

but as lisa says, do some experiments and see what you get.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I have seen a frit combing plate that resembeled a spiral tie dye - looked fairly decent. So my guess is that you would have to really pile the frit/powder and then drag. Just guessing though. :?
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

the next time i experiment with this, i'm going to see what happens if the frit is moistened, probably with klyr-fire. i think it needs to be more cohesive to comb in the manner we desire.

i didnt spend very much time on this, but i intend to, and if i learn something worth mentioning, i'll post it.