Drop-ring question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SteveZorn

Drop-ring question

Post by SteveZorn »

Brad wrote a great article in "Glass Craftsman" about setting up drop-rings. I put my copy in a special place---and now I can't find it! My question is: on a drop-ring with a 5 inch hole I want to drop a vase-like shape. My round 6inch prefused tile is 5/8inch thick (Bullseye), how high can I set this without getting walls that are too thin? I know there is a rule of thumb for this setup.
I would like to get into cold-working my edges. I have a 1/2HP wet grinder with an 8 inch wheel. I have seen rather pricey diamond wheels, are there silicon carbide wheels available? If so what grits are the best to purchase first? And what would I use for final polishing?
Thanks in advance as always
Steve Zorn
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

How does one read a copy of this great article?

Carla
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dito on how can we (NEW FOLKS) read this great article. And
what is the "Glass Craftsmen" a weekly or monthly industry Journal,
or magazine.
How can we get our hands on future copies????
Thanks
BZody

Brad if you can post your article w/out angering "GC" I would be
much obliged
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

to subscribe or get back issues of glasscraftsman magazine go to
http://www.glasscraftsman.com/

I get this magazine and really like it. It covers many aspects of glass, not just warmglass.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

CM Fox wrote:How does one read a copy of this great article?
The article was actually part two of a two part article on drop rings. It's a shortened version of what will appear in my second book, which I hope to finish this year. (Long time visitors to the Warm Glass site will remember that I've said that for the last two years, but I really mean it this time. I think.)

Part one of the article was also in a recent issue of the IGGA newsletter, and part two will likely be there sometime later this year. After that, I'll probably put some of the material on the Warm Glass website.