grinder and other equipement you can't live without

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bobcat

grinder and other equipement you can't live without

Post by Bobcat »

Hi all,

I've been patrolling the boards recently and really appreciate what you folks have gone through. I just ordered a kiln today and am so excited to get it.

I am setting up my first studio in my basement. I know it is going to be too small, but it WILL still be a studio.

I have been looking into grinders and found the array almost as confusing as kilns. I got to thinking that some of you might have tried some of the products that are new to the market. Or, if there are old tried and true products I'd love to know that. The one that has peaked my curiousity is the DTI 2 in 1. Looks like a nice feature to have the grinding wheel, but I wonder if it is just a gimmick.

Also, are there other power tools that should be on my wish list?

TIA,
bobcat
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I've had disk grinders from a number of manufacturers since I started doing glass and I have to highly recommend the GlasStar disc grinder. It's spendy, but worth it. I have 2 of them, as a matter of fact. One I bought in about 1989 or 1990. I had to have the motor replaced after about 7 or 8 years, but that was way less spendy than buying a new one (I think it was $70 versus $200 maybe). I have a second one I bought a couple of years ago, and other than an on-off switch needing to be replaced (which I did myself, by the way), it's been a champ.

Another thing you might find you'll need, depending on what you do, is a tile saw. I finally got one last year and I simply couldn't work without it now. I got the cheapie one (about $89-$99) from Harbor Freight.

I have a Taurus ring saw which I used for a while. It's great for cutting out single layer pieces that can't be cut by hand. At the time, I was using a hand motif in my work and there was no way I could cut it by hand. I no longer use that motif, so I don't use that saw anymore. But at the time, it was perfect for the work I was doing.

I'm sure others will have their own recommendations.

Geri
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Oh yeah! I forgot! Late last year, on a visit out here to the left coast, Bert graciously gave me a personal lesson in the use of an air brush and air compressor for applying micas and enamels. I use both of those tools alot now.

So much of the tolls you need will depend on the kind of work you want to do.

Still buying new tool toys!

Geri
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Sheesh! I just thought of another tool I couldn't live without. That's my flex shaft tool. I use it for lots of different things...drilling small holes in glass, grinding out bits of crud that get stuck to the surface of glass. It can also be used to buff small pieces of metal.

You may also want to invest in a sandblaster.

So many tools...so little time.

Geri
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

For quality and best warranty, I think Glastar grinders are the best. My second choice would be Inland.

If you buy a foot switch you can use it on a variety of machines and you don't have to worry about your on-off switches wearing out!
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

Thanks for the tips.

Lynn, what do you think about inlands Twin Spin grinder. Looks handy for some things. I'm a believer in simplicity so the studio grinder by glastar is also very intriging. Plus I've used it before in a friends studio.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I can't live without my diamond hand pads. They make cleaning up a ground or sawed edge a breeze. Otherwise I like to sandblast ground edges. Boy does that clean things up!

barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
robertb

can live without

Post by robertb »

I bought the "twin spin" a few yesrs ago, I hate it. I recently purchased a tile saw (MK170) which i love.
robertb
robert
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Geri Comstock wrote:Sheesh! I just thought of another tool I couldn't live without. That's my flex shaft tool.
Is that like a dremel? Sounds kind of naughty if you ask me! My Glastar grinder has been wonderful and having a drill press is essential if you are going to drill a lot of holes.
-Amy
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Heh. It's like a dremel but it has a long tube-like thing, called a flexible shaft that separates the motor for the handpiece. I find it much easier to work with than a regular dremel tool without the flex shaft attachment.

Geri
charlie

Post by charlie »

Dave Pascoe

Post by Dave Pascoe »

I`ve got a twin spin aswell. I wouldn`t recommend it. It seems like a good idea, having two types of grinding on the one machine. But in reality, it`s a real pain in the arse changing it all around. Especially when the disc gets stuck on the shaft and it takes an hour to free it. I really only use the vertical head on it now.

What I really want is a lap grinder!!!!

I`ve got a band saw which is really usefull.

A tile saw is another thing on the list.......
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

Thanks for the feedback on the twin spin. I had already decided to order it at noon. Thanks to your feeback, I called AA and changed my order.

So not only am I spared headaches, but it will be here days sooner.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure how to view the comments on the flex shaft. Does this mean that dentistry tools are naughty too? - hmmmm.