First attempt...drop ring.. HELP!!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AZ gram

First attempt...drop ring.. HELP!!!

Post by AZ gram »

Oh no!!!! I was sooooo excited. I kept adding a little time and could see the slump going deeper and deeper. Then just when I thought it had reached the bottom, I realized that the whole thing had collapsed through the ring.

My stash of newbie attempts is growing......... :shock: :cry: :? :( :x
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

was your drop out a made clay one, does it have sufficient area on the outer sides to hold the glass up, guessing that may be the problem, try holding for longer at a lower temp maybe, just trying to help
AZ gram

Post by AZ gram »

It is a clay, mottled 6 1/2" dropout mold and I used 3 layers of float (3/8" thick total). Raised 4 1/2" from shelf.

Fired: slow to 1380 , held 20 min. initially then added about 40 min in 5min increments.

Also added 10 degrees for the last 10 min. .....and just before the collapse.

All suggestions will be most appreciated.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

How large was the rim?

Also, while float will work fine for practice, it's likely that it will devitrify because of the long soak needed for drop rings.
SWalsh

Post by SWalsh »

Been there and done that! I had my first successful drop ring come out of the kiln this morning. (talk about a proud parent!) I've had drop rings crack and melt through. I've had them just slump right through onto the floor, as yours did. (Mine slagged over onto itself so all my pretty glass was face to face and fused!) I've had them overflow the top side of the ring and crack... In fact, this morning I had 2 projects in the kiln and the second drop ring partly melted through and made the bottom piece so wide spread that I had to break the glass to get it out of the drop ring! The difference between the two was 1 inch in height. Successful one was on 2 one-inch posts stacked on top of each other and unsuccessful one was on three-inch posts. Isn't it strange that one would work and one wouldn't?

Hang in there is my best advice.

I fire so slow it isn't even funny because the pre-fused glass is so thick. I think previous breaks were thermal shock in heating too fast.

HAHAHA... listen to me! One success to my credit but I'm tickled pink. Hopefully it will be the first of many.

Sue
The past is history,
The future is a mystery
And the present is a gift
AZ gram

Post by AZ gram »

Thanks so much for the input. I need all the help I can get. :?

The rim is 1 3/4". The inner opening is 3 1/4". Total diameter is 6 1/2"

Any other thoughts or suggestions??

How thick do you think the fused circle should be for this size ring?
Any thoughts on height?

I'm going to start preparing for another attempt using art glass this time.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

For what you want to do, your 3/8" thickness should be fine. The mainthing I would have done different from what you did are longer soaks. I haven't tried a drop ring with float, so can't suggest exact temps.

Note that art glass will slump at a lower temp than float glass.

My first few drop rings were disasters, too. It just takes a few tries to figure out what works best for you.
AZ gram

Post by AZ gram »

Brad, thank you so very much for the suggestions and encouragement.
I'll keep trying and I can't wait for your new book.

Two subjects that I am hoping you will include are pot melts and powder wafers.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

AZ gram wrote:Two subjects that I am hoping you will include are pot melts and powder wafers.
They're both in there.