cellular concrete

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

east-coast-jacques

cellular concrete

Post by east-coast-jacques »

good day all from the snow and cold of east coast Canada.

I was wondering if anyone ever slumped glass with cellular concrete. I have seen this product In France and the use it ti insulate the houses but it is porous like refractory bricks so I was wondering how it handle itself with the heat... :roll:
There is a fine line between a hobby and loosing your mind...
Jacques
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I don't exactly know what cellular concrete is but fondue cement is heavy stuff that makes one tough mold that devits the glass. Holds so much heat that it seemingly never cools down in the kiln.
Kevin
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

I was at the ACC show today in Baltimore. I saw an artist there that had fused pieces of glass inside concrete/cement (don't know what it was) and then cold worked it to a high polish. Nice stuff, unfortunately the artist was not in the booth, just a helper that did not know the process.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: cellular concrete

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

east-coast-jacques wrote:good day all from the snow and cold of east coast Canada.

I was wondering if anyone ever slumped glass with cellular concrete. I have seen this product In France and the use it ti insulate the houses but it is porous like refractory bricks so I was wondering how it handle itself with the heat... :roll:
If its the stuff I think it is its very soft

I not used it but here R some thoughts

As its got air in dont fast fire possibilyty of small explosion

Fire dry

Fire small test peice

Brian
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Across the road from my cafe is a sculptor who uses 'Hebel Bricks' which her husband is the local building supplier of such product.
I haven't had time to test it for possible use, but am told that it insulates, handles great heat but degrades to a powdery surface on the side that cops the heat.
It is light weight, porous and easy to shape which is obviously the pros.

regards, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!