Bottle slumping mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

fun5oh

Bottle slumping mold

Post by fun5oh »

Could someone tell me what the difference is in using the mold to slump a bottle, as opposed to just slumping it on your shelf? Is there a different sort of effect?

Robin :)
LisaBartlett

Post by LisaBartlett »

I know that some of the bottle molds create a curved result, more of a bowl than plate if you will...
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

Thanks Lisa!
The neck on the mold looks small, Im guessing you need to cut the neck off to fit, or do you let it slump over?

jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

fun5oh wrote:Thanks Lisa!
The neck on the mold looks small, Im guessing you need to cut the neck off to fit, or do you let it slump over?

Just let it slump over. It makes a very nice spoon rest.
Jim
LisaBartlett

Post by LisaBartlett »

I have seen them slumped over to create a foot for the bootle to hold steady. I haven't done this myself.
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi I slump into the bottle mold quite a bit. I think the one I have is for a 11 inch tall bottle. Well most of the bottles I do in it are more than that. Here is what I do and it has worked everytime. I use thinfire at the neck and the base of the kilnwashed mold. The piece at the base is into the mold about an inch and down to the shelf at the end and a littlewider than I think the bottle will be when slumped. At the neck I use a piece with the same proportions as the base 1" in mold to shelf, etc. I fire this with about the same sched. as I use to slump bottles only I decrease my top temp about 50 degrees and do a lot of peeking until I get the soak time for the glass to conform to the bottom of the mold. This is important or you will have a rocker not a long narrow bowl. The reason I use the thinfire on the ends is because since I use bottles that are usually 13 inches long some hangs off at the top and the bottom. With the thinfire I am able to get the bottle to release after firing with out it I borke the bottle base off. I tried cutting off the bottle top but didn't like the look since the top wasn't a wine bottle neck anymore. I also put a tad of glue on the paper where the bottle touches before firing so that it has a chance of not sliding. They will slide! Make sure the bottle is even N,S,E,&W or you will have an uneven dish unless that is what you are aiming for. These things sell whether I think they are good or not. Some that I wanted to throw but my husband made me take to shows sold first, go figure. Good luck with the mold.
Nanc
AZ gram

bottle slump mold?

Post by AZ gram »

Where can I see/order these? I didn't realize that a mold was needed for bottles. I want to try slumpling a few wine bottles for the first time.
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

I think I got mine frome someplace in California, I can't remember where since it was ordered over the internet. Now it makes a bowl not a plate. Sorry I don't have time right now to search it out for you. Nanc
Nanc
Cher

Re: bottle slump mold?

Post by Cher »

AZ gram wrote:Where can I see/order these? I didn't realize that a mold was needed for bottles. I want to try slumpling a few wine bottles for the first time.
Not "needed", can do without. Depends if you want flat or "boat" shaped. I do both. Got my molds from Delphi.
>^..^<
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Unique Glass Colors offers three sizes from coke or beer bottle to half gallon size. http://uniqueglasscolors.com/glassaggers.html

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas