Display Lighting & credit cards

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Brook

Display Lighting & credit cards

Post by Brook »

I'm looking for some lighting that I can add to my canopy frame. I do in door shows and would like to have better lighting.

any suggestions..

Also, I have searched the board for information on setting up accounts for accepting credit cards. I saw an older post on "Discover Services". To those using them are you still happy with them. I am expanding my show schedule and now need to have the ability of accepting credit cards with the least amount of expense....

Brook
Brook L. Alsdurf
Creative Glass by Brook
Manassas, Virginia
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

me too on the credit card update. i need to sign up some where. who are you happy with and why please. rosanna
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Revised 3/2/2004: There is now a $20 monthly minimum fee for Visa/MC services so now I'm officially not so happy with this service.

I use Discover and have been happy with the service. The service I use is for low volume sales and I just use the nuckle buster. No sign up fee, no monthly minimum or fee. The rates are:

Discover Rate= 2.50%+10 cents per trans
Visa/Mastercard= 3.00%+44 cents per trans
American Express= $5 monthly+40 cents per trans (Am.Exp is optional)
Supplies= FREE
Imprinter= $25 (if you want one, this is optional)

This is for the dialpay program and I don't accecpt Amex just the other three. I phone in the info at the end of the day and they credit my bank account within 2 days or so. You could also use your cell phone at the time of sale if your spider senses are tingling and you just want to make sure the card is approved. I get a statement at the end of the month and the mercant charges are debited from my bank account once a month.

I have only done a few small shows but over half my sales are credit card sales.

You can call Cecilia Dulay at 1-800-347-7996 ext 5035

Susan
Last edited by Susan Moore on Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Home Depot carried several sizes of indoor halogen lighting that's meant to be installed, but they also carry an adapter cord which allows them to be plugged in. I've used them for several years now and they work great.

Geri
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

For the best rates look into guilds to see if they have any offerings to sign up for credit card use as a group. I know this might be clear as mud. I belong to the Ohio Arts and Crafts Guild my membership is I believe $30 a year one of the perks is that they offer Discover Biz/Fisrt Data at a group rate. There are several options. I find the rates to be less than those offered non-group. There are other perks but pertain pretty much to people doing shows in Ohio. Nanc
Nanc
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

We got our track lighting from eclecticlighting.homestead.com and they look better than most of what I see at indoor shows. We bought the package deal which also saved us money. Good folks to work with.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I use Nova through Costo executive member services:

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg= ... 2Easp&log=

1.57% plus 21¢ per swiped VISA and MasterCard transaction for retail merchants **
2.04% for mail order or phone order merchants plus 28¢ per VISA and MasterCard transaction **
$4.95 monthly statement fee is waived for Executive Members
One time $25 application fee is waived for Executive Members
Electronic processing for American Express, Discover, and debit card transactions are also available (rates may vary)
Internet processing available
Customer Service 24-hours a day / 7-days a week

I also like that I can put my credit card on seasonal hold during the months I don't have any shows.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

I too use Nova through Costco after looking at all the various options for quite a while and going giddy with all the information. I think someone else here recommended it as an option.

I didn't realise I could put it on seasonal hold - that's great! Next year I'll do that - thanks Terry.

I use a simple knuckle buster and then enter it into the computer later. You can call if you need/want to but pay more.

As with all things look at the hidden charges ... for instance with the Nova/Costco deal you have a minimum of $20 in charges a month to cover - not a problem most months, but in the off season that's $20 out of pocket (that's when I should have my card on seasonal hold).

Sadie
dee

Re: Display Lighting & credit cards

Post by dee »

Brook wrote:I'm looking for some lighting that I can add to my canopy frame. I do in door shows and would like to have better lighting.

any suggestions..

Also, I have searched the board for information on setting up accounts for accepting credit cards. I saw an older post on "Discover Services". To those using them are you still happy with them. I am expanding my show schedule and now need to have the ability of accepting credit cards with the least amount of expense....

Brook
this is who i just switched to after 5 or 6 years with a different processor:
http://www.1nbcard.com
Mike DiGiovanni

1st National Processing
TEL: 877-964-1622
FAX: 866-447-6584

great customer service, wide range of equipment, excellent rates...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I usually put it on hold from Jan to April. I call right after Dec 31st in case I have some extra repeat customers from my holiday shows. I double check that my account is indeed closed . Then when I reopen I make sure I do this 3 or 4 days ahead of time and double check by using the dummy credit card number (Nova provides)to test my equipement. One year I did not test to make sure everything was open and it wasn't - what a hassel. But I made nova bite the extra percentage because I was not able to run my sales during the show and had to come home wait for the account to be open. I usually use a wireless set up at shows. Also make sure they know it's a seasonal hold not a temporary shut down - that will cost extra. Officially I think you can put your account on seasonal hold for 3 consecutive months but I've been lucky with 4. I'm guessing that you cannot put it on hold one month reactivate for 2 put on hold for 1 month back and forth type of situation.

sadiesjewels wrote:
As with all things look at the hidden charges ... for instance with the Nova/Costco deal you have a minimum of $20 in charges a month to cover - not a problem most months, but in the off season that's $20 out of pocket (that's when I should have my card on seasonal hold).

Sadie
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
JJ

Post by JJ »

I have been using Discover and have been happy with them until now. Just received a letter from them in the last two weeks that due to increased costs they were going to start charging a monthly minimum discount of $20.00 and they were also increasing other fees. As I limit my shows to about six a year, I don't use my system when I'm not doing shows. I only accept credit cards during shows ( which is usually 80% of sales, so definitely have to offer credit card service), otherwise, I only take checks and cash. Easier on my record keeping. Am now looking at other credit card services.
JJ in NC
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Brook - What type of frame? Many indoor shows will not allow tents frames.
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

JJ wrote:I have been using Discover and have been happy with them until now. Just received a letter from them in the last two weeks that due to increased costs they were going to start charging a monthly minimum discount of $20.00 and they were also increasing other fees. As I limit my shows to about six a year, I don't use my system when I'm not doing shows. I only accept credit cards during shows ( which is usually 80% of sales, so definitely have to offer credit card service), otherwise, I only take checks and cash. Easier on my record keeping. Am now looking at other credit card services.
JJ,

I didn't receive a letter. I presume that the higher rates I pay are due to the fact that I don't pay fees but I guess I should call them and get the scoop. Are you using Dialpay or some other program?

Susan
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I used to sell a lot of halogen lighting manufactured by WAC Lighting. They are reasonable and have proven to be of decent quality. I put them everywhere in my new house 4 years ago and have only had to replace 2 bulbs in that amount of time. get the 12volt versions and get fixtures that have an open back so they don't build up heat within them and burn out lots of bulbs prematurely. They have lots of styles and models to choose from. I used to sell the economy fixtures for about $11-12 ea. and track was about $2.50-$3.00 /foot. they have a cord adaptor so you can plug into any line voltage extension cord. just clamp onto your frame or display which is easy as the fixtures are very light. I have used Discover for the last 9 years and have been reasonably satisfied with their service even though the rates have increased some. I write all my slips by hand and then enter them in my terminal when I get back to my studio from a show. I always get a customer's phone no. in case there is a problem or I copied their # wrong. I've never had a bad one yet, knock on wood! Tenn. Tom
Brook

Post by Brook »

Jerry Cave wrote:Brook - What type of frame? Many indoor shows will not allow tents frames.
Jerry,

I use the frame from my ez up. I have added 4 new shows this year, they didn't say anything about not using the frame, but I will give them a call and clarify..

Brook
Brook L. Alsdurf
Creative Glass by Brook
Manassas, Virginia
Susan Moore

$20 monthly fee

Post by Susan Moore »

I called Discover about the $20 fee and they are not the company charging it - NPC is the Visa and M/C processing company and they have added the $20 monthly minimum fee starting March 1st. Grrrrrr I hate paying fees for merely being a customer! Will now shop around for better deal.

Susan
JJ

Post by JJ »

Hi Susan, I wonder why you didn't get the letter. Hadn't checked the board and just saw your question- but I guess you already checked on the fee increase. Let me know if you find a better source, and I'll keep looking, too.
JJ in NC
Brook

Post by Brook »

Well here is my latest findings...

I called Costco and spoke to them last night. They were VERY excited with my call and promised to send an e-mail with information about software etc "shortly" Monday Night. Well it is now 24 hours later and no word from them. I tried calling them just before lunch time (Tuesday) and their phone system kept disconnecting me when I was "waiting for a representative to assist me". So I gave up on them. ](*,) #-o

I called the site mentioned here http://www.1nbcard.com. This is what I found.. (THANK YOU DEE) \:D/

They offered 4 different programs staring with rates of 2.29% and .75 cents per transaction, $5.00 monthly statement, $10.00 monthly minimum

I bought into the following program..

:D I bought a NURIT 3020U (swipper & printer&battery), a rate of 1.59% and .23 cents per transaction, $5.00 monthly statement fee, $10.00 monthly minimum. It comes with paper supplies, signs etc. I am able to accept MC/Visa/debit card/check card/bank card for the same rate and Discover Card for a rate that is .10 cents higher.

All I have to do is plug the swipper into a telephone line and it transfers all the transactions (no room for error of entering numbers wrong) :? :!: when I get home. I still have the use of an 800 number if I have a large sale and want immediate authorization from the show the cost is $1.60 for that call.

They provide warranty/repairs on all the equipment for as long as I have an account with them. :)

The person I worked with was
Steven Ballon \:D/
Senior Account Manager
(516) 921-9445
1st National Processing

They may offer other programs but for my situation this seems to be the best. I like that my monthly fee is half of everyone else & that I have a professional set up with a clean recept for the customer and myself.

Brook
Brook L. Alsdurf
Creative Glass by Brook
Manassas, Virginia
dee

Post by dee »

Brook wrote:Well here is my latest findings...

I called Costco and spoke to them last night. They were VERY excited with my call and promised to send an e-mail with information about software etc "shortly" Monday Night. Well it is now 24 hours later and no word from them. I tried calling them just before lunch time (Tuesday) and their phone system kept disconnecting me when I was "waiting for a representative to assist me". So I gave up on them. ](*,) #-o

I called the site mentioned here http://www.1nbcard.com. This is what I found.. (THANK YOU DEE) \:D/

They offered 4 different programs staring with rates of 2.29% and .75 cents per transaction, $5.00 monthly statement, $10.00 monthly minimum

I bought into the following program..

:D I bought a NURIT 3020U (swipper & printer&battery), a rate of 1.59% and .23 cents per transaction, $5.00 monthly statement fee, $10.00 monthly minimum. It comes with paper supplies, signs etc. I am able to accept MC/Visa/debit card/check card/bank card for the same rate and Discover Card for a rate that is .10 cents higher.

All I have to do is plug the swipper into a telephone line and it transfers all the transactions (no room for error of entering numbers wrong) :? :!: when I get home. I still have the use of an 800 number if I have a large sale and want immediate authorization from the show the cost is $1.60 for that call.

They provide warranty/repairs on all the equipment for as long as I have an account with them. :)

The person I worked with was
Steven Ballon \:D/
Senior Account Manager
(516) 921-9445
1st National Processing

They may offer other programs but for my situation this seems to be the best. I like that my monthly fee is half of everyone else & that I have a professional set up with a clean recept for the customer and myself.

Brook
you're welcome, sara creekmore passed the 1st national bank card info to me when she switched a bit over a year ago, i started with mosely bankcard but they failed to return calls/provide promised info this fall when i was researching moving up to wireless - costly equipment investment but wonderfull when doing shows by yourself - and VERY responsive! excellent rates also...

i love to pass on info about service companies that have made me a happy customer...

enjoy your cc setup and happy creating and selling...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Brook,
I am interested in the swiper and printer and battery you got. I went to the site and could not find that number. NURIT 3020U, is the number right? I will give them a call, I just like to see and read something before I am talking on the phone..........Claudia