Newbie needs help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jan Daniel

Newbie needs help

Post by Jan Daniel »

Thanks for your help. I slumped a wine bottle that did not melt down enough. Can I refire and if so do I use the same temp. My concern is that it will melt totally flat if I refire. Thank you very much.
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Jan,

Yes you can remelt it. I would go up a little slower since part of the bottle is thicker than when you started. I fire to between 1425 and 1500 depending which kiln I am using. I also soak for a while. The soak is an eye thing. Fast cool is up to you. One kiln I do and the other I don't. Until you get the firing schedule down for your kiln you will have to peek.
Nanc
Cyndi

Post by Cyndi »

Can some one tell me why every one likes to melt bottles? What do you all do with them ?
If I am missing somthing really cool I want to know about it!
Cyndi
Cyndi
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Cyndi,

Lots of things you can do with flattened wine bottles. Some people like to paint on them. Some like to use them in kiln carving and some people sandblast on them.

If none of the above appeals to you, just use it plain as a cheese platter.

Judy
Jan Daniel

Post by Jan Daniel »

[quote="Nancy Juhasz"]Jan,

Nancy,
Thank you so much for answering my question. Have been gone and just got back on PC to check or would have thanked you earlier. Appreciate your help.
Jan