Jen-Ken vs. Skutt vs. Paragon

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

korenfish

Jen-Ken vs. Skutt vs. Paragon

Post by korenfish »

Hello all-
I'm about to buy my first kiln and have done a lot of research online and in local stores. Now I want the warmglass bulleting board users' opinions. Give me any information, pros, cons, etc. about Jen-Ken, Skutt, and Paragon kilns. The three models I'm looking at are about equivalent...some have more elements, some have peep holes versus viewing windows, etc. Please give me opinions about how to chose between brands. They all seem good and have good warranties.

Specifically, I'm looking at:
Skutt GM814
Jen-Ken PFG18EI
Paragon fusion 8
BUT I WANT GENERAL OPINIONS TOO, NOT JUST ON THESE MODELS

I need a controller, so if you have any thoughts on which has a better controller that'd be great too! Honestly, any and all opinions are great! Thanks in advance!

-Stephanie
deb.co

Post by deb.co »

I recently purchased a Paragon GL-24AD and have mixed feelings. The kiln is awesome. The only thing I wish was that the peek holes were in a better location. (It's very difficult to see inside, without opening the door.) The service from Paragon was terrible. I waited over 5 weeks for my kiln, when they told me it would be 3 weeks. They would not return my calls. I asked that it be shipped to the shipping dock. They shipped it to my home, which cost me additional shipping charges and delayed the arrival by 2 days.

Hope this helps!
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Stephanie,

I own three Jen-Kens and am thoroughly pleased with each of them. These all have a viewing window which allows me to see what's going on inside without having to lift the lid.

I prefer the controller on my newer kiln vs the others as it has a touch pad instead of "arrowing" up and down.

Good luck in your choice.

Judy
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

deb.co wrote:I recently purchased a Paragon GL-24AD and have mixed feelings. The kiln is awesome. The only thing I wish was that the peek holes were in a better location. (It's very difficult to see inside, without opening the door.) The service from Paragon was terrible. I waited over 5 weeks for my kiln, when they told me it would be 3 weeks. They would not return my calls. I asked that it be shipped to the shipping dock. They shipped it to my home, which cost me additional shipping charges and delayed the arrival by 2 days.

Hope this helps!
My experienc has been just the opposite.
I bought a gl24 about 4 years ago and it arived with the door firebrick damaged. I sent them pictures of the damage and they sent me a new door in about 8 days. After I had the kiln for about 6 months, one of the relays stuck. I notified them and had a new relay within 3 weeks.

This will probably add to the confusion.
Jim
rodney

Post by rodney »

jen ken all the way ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i love mine, and the people are terriffic,,,,rodney
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

I've had my JenKen for about six years now and I LOVE it. However, my husband went and bought me another kiln (gotta love him!!) and it's a SKUTT. At first I was a little hesitant, because I just LOVE my JenKen, but now I prefer the SKUTT controller. I’ve heard BOTH have excellent customer care, but I wouldn’t know personally, as I’ve never had one problem with either.

The JenKen Orton Auto fire works just fine, it’s easy, but the up/down on the buttons does get a little old. Not the biggest complaint, and I understand that now they have a better controller. I would suggest getting the manual to both controllers. I think the Skutt took me longer to figure out how to use, but I do think it’s easier to use, once you’ve got your schedules programmed in.
Deborah
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

The difference in the controllers that were mentioned in the prior posting is not the difference between kiln manufactures. The difference is between controllers. Both manufactures use a 3 key controller with up and down buttons and then a 12 key controller. As a matter of fact, most of the controllers on kilns are made either by Bartlett or Orton, they just put a different face plate on it for each different manufacture and also a little different software if the manufacturer wants it.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Chevy's n Ford's....

Skutt, Jen-Ken, Paragon....all are excellent kiln manufacturers. You will probably find stories of +'s and -'s on all of you dig deep enough. Point is how do you like to work, what kind of work do you want to do and where do you want to take your work.

You mentioned you like to look at your work, if this is the case maybe a Jen-Ken with their quartz window would be best for you. For me, I'm not a peeker when I cook. I prefer to focus more on control of the process rather than looking. That's just me and what I'm comfortable with. I know others that have to look inside and see what is going on. That's fine for them. What ever you are comfortable with. If you have a chance to use some of these kilns from friends you might be able to get a feel for their advantages and disadvantages.

I have two Paragons, a little Evenheat and a custom. Never had a problem with my Paragons except the shelves which I solved by going to fiberboard. My GL24 runs like clockwork and I use it a lot. I prefer the 12 button controllers but they are not always available on the smaller models from most manufacturers. Bartlett and Orton are both good controllers with only minor differences in their programming. Again, most are probably perferred based upon what one you used first.

I know a number of people who have gotten the new Skutt clamshell and love it. Skutt has been making kilns for a long time and are a very good manufacturer. The clamshell design is nice for both looking in and giving a nice amout of space for a single large project or a few smaller ones. Why, this kiln is so nice I hear even Brock is learning to use a controller as he likes this kiln so much. :wink:

Phil
afilloon

Re: Jen-Ken vs. Skutt vs. Paragon

Post by afilloon »

We have had a Jen-Ken for about a year and a half, and I must say that I won't buy another one. In a phrase; kiln crumbs. The lid has been shedding from the first firing. I've tried hi-temp cement with limited success.

Jen-Ken is not at all responsive to my queries, usually I get a response that they will get right back to me and I don't hear from them until I email them again.

I cannot recommend them. On the other hand, a good friend (hi Randy!) has purchased a paragon and had exceptional service from them. Go figure.

So, there's my vent!

Allen in Racine

korenfish wrote:Hello all-
I'm about to buy my first kiln and have done a lot of research online and in local stores. Now I want the warmglass bulleting board users' opinions. Give me any information, pros, cons, etc. about Jen-Ken, Skutt, and Paragon kilns. The three models I'm looking at are about equivalent...some have more elements, some have peep holes versus viewing windows, etc. Please give me opinions about how to chose between brands. They all seem good and have good warranties.

Specifically, I'm looking at:
Skutt GM814
Jen-Ken PFG18EI
Paragon fusion 8
BUT I WANT GENERAL OPINIONS TOO, NOT JUST ON THESE MODELS

I need a controller, so if you have any thoughts on which has a better controller that'd be great too! Honestly, any and all opinions are great! Thanks in advance!

-Stephanie
Allen
korenfish

Post by korenfish »

Thanks, everyone, for your useful information. I basically needed the scoop on these brands... I've sort of gotten used to consumer reports and epinions.com before making major purchases. I'm going to keep researching and getting information. Please feel free to respond to this or PM me with any more information about skutt and jen-ken or other brands, as well as your thoughts on controllers. 12-key, 3-key, etc. I'm definitely getting a controller.

Thanks a lot again! What a great resource this bulletin board is!