kugler color

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mikefromitaly

kugler color

Post by mikefromitaly »

hello friends
someone could tell me if know info about kugler color or their web site?

thanks
mike fom italy
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

Hope this helps? :wink:
Friedrich Farbglashuette-Kugler Colors, Farbglaskoernung, Grits ...
Please come and visit KUGLER COLORS at our booth number C60 in hall 10.0 at the
"Ambiente" fair in Frankfurt from February 20th - 24th 2004 You are very ...
http://www.kuglercolors.de/italiano/news.htm

Kugler Colors color chart - bar, frit and powder colors available
Kugler-Colors® Color Chart. [Home]. [Tools]. [Equipment & Supplies]. [Full Catalog].
[Color Chart]. ... 2225 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121 About Kugler-Colors®. ...
http://www.hotglasscolor.com/Color_Guide.htm
Mark Hughes
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

Mark,
Sorry that I missed the Kugler colors booth at the Frankfurt fair. I am just now researching Kugler and this semi-old message popped up. Can you tell me if another exibit is planned in the near future? What is the COE of Kugler colors anyway? There sure seems to be a large assortment of colors. I´ve read somewhere that these colors are a bit tricky "striking". If I plan on fusing with them are there problems that I should know about before the "big purchase"? Where can I buy the colors in Germany? Their web site is a bit limited in that regard. I am so excited to find a large assortment of enamels manufactured in GERMANY! I´ll be able to save a fortune in shipping!

Mike in Italy did you have any success with the website? I just found it today myself. It sure does have lot of languages that it caters to...including Italian.

Kim
steve_hiskey

Post by steve_hiskey »

Kugler is COE96 and is compatible with the Spectrum System96 slumping glass.

It is color for glassblowing though, so many of the colors are "concentrated", and I have found that many of the reds will burn when slumping (which is a oxygen starved environment).

You have to be careful with some of the colors, in that they are not quite COE96... so for example K103 Silver Green in big chunks will introduce a stress point. When you blow it, you stretch and thin it, which reduces the stress.

You can get some nice reactions by putting the silver based colors on copper too... you get little "tree rings" around the color as it reacts to the copper.

-Steve
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

[quote="steve_hiskey"]Kugler is COE96

no
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I just bought some Iris Gold and Silver Blue reduction colors for lampworking and was told that it was 93-94 COE.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

GatorGirl wrote: What is the COE of Kugler colors anyway? There sure seems to be a large assortment of colors. I´ve read somewhere that these colors are a bit tricky "striking". If I plan on fusing with them are there problems that I should know about before the "big purchase"?
Kugler transparents are 91-95 COE, opaques are 83-86. I suspect that you will have trouble fusing with these unless you do quite a bit of testing.
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

Thanks! I read in http://www.glassaustralia.anu.edu.au/pa ... .pate.html website where the first one person listed used Kugler along with 24% lead Lennox crystal. It sounds beautiful! BE is great but the colors are limited. Are there any frits on the market that have a larger selection of colors but don´t have any risks when using them? If so who?
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

You might want to google Gaffer colors. made in MiddleEarth and very consistant. One Line is for blowing, one is for Casting. I think they maintain very high quality. I would be interested in other people's responses to their casting colors, especially mixing colors.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

Well Jerry,
After researching everything that I could get my hands on I think that I will stick with BE. I´d already researched Gaffer but their website is limiting. It doesn´t specify which colors are opaque and which are transparent. The closest distributor would be England so I wouldn´t save on shipping. Some colors also have some different guidelines for fusing and seeing how I am a beginner I think that I will stick with what I already know. Thanks for the info.

Kim
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Hi Kim,

for some unknown reason leaded crystal is more tolerant
with COE. It must be easy to obtein in Germany. If not, goto
Prag!

Pate de Verre is also a somewhat tolerant process, as the
glass can be mixed in so fine particles there is no stress
concentration. Kugler colors are strong. For casting
tints you may use perhaps 90 % clear and 10% color.

-lauri
rodney

Post by rodney »

lauri wrote:Hi Kim,

for some unknown reason leaded crystal is more tolerant
with COE. It must be easy to obtein in Germany. If not, goto
Prag!

Pate de Verre is also a somewhat tolerant process, as the
glass can be mixed in so fine particles there is no stress
concentration. Kugler colors are strong. For casting
tints you may use perhaps 90 % clear and 10% color.

-lauri

thanks for this info,,,,when you mix it 90/10, is it similar to most BE colored glass,,,,is there a problem with coe when mixing in higher concentratons,,,do you have any samples on your website,,thanks so much,,,rodney
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

Thanks again Lauri for your splendid information. You really know glass!

Kim
Lauri Levanto

To Rodney and Kim

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I have not really done pate de verre. The information was from my glass chemist, Mr. Antero Tammisto. He provides the Finnish factories with colored glass, around 96 COE.

I have used his powders to paint between float. No observable stress. Done the same with BE powder on float.

-lauri
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

The more I ponder the Kugler colors the more confused I become....

So Brad what you are saying is that Kugler transparent doesn´t even work if it is mixed with Kugler opaque? Is glass blowing totally different? What am I missing?

Kim