thousands of flower

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bkfoltz

thousands of flower

Post by bkfoltz »

I love the Murrini or Millefiori slices. But they are COE-104
I would like to use them in some pins that I am making, only a couple of slices per very small pin.

Is there a supplier that carries them in 90 or 96.

I have a mini Murrini mold, but I really like the flower look. I just don't want slices

Kris
Cynthia

Try finding sheet glass in 104

Post by Cynthia »

I don't know of any millefiore that comes in anything other than coe 104 (doesn't mean there isn't any out there though). :wink:

What might be easier is to find sheet glass that is coe 104 such as the Moretti fusible sheet glass. That way you can get the thousand flowers, and have a base to fuse them to as well.

I know Ed Hoy carries the Moretti fusible occasionally. You have to call about availability....If they carry it, other distributors should as well.
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

Some suppliers now carry hand-pulled filigree cane in System 96. Delphi is one supplier who carries them. The description is as follows:

"System 96 hand-pulled Filigree Cane is available in two styles. Americano has a twisted ribbon of color running through clear, and Zanfirico has a latticework of finer, thread-like strands. Cane is sold by the piece, except for the Mardi Gras packs that contain a 6 piece assortment. Pieces approx. 19" long and 8 to 10 mm thick."

In the alternative, you could buy a Murrini Maker (also available at Delphi) and make your own millefori with stingers and noodles.

You can find Delphi online at http://www.delphiglass.com.
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Also check Warner-Crivellaro for the noodles and stringers. THey also have the mold. They are a sponsor of the list. Nice people to work with. As far as I know they only carry 96 COE.
Nanc
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Kris:
If you have a torch and want a symmetrical thousand flowers effect, you might want to try making your own millifiori using an optic mold. They are small cone-shaped blocks of metal with different patterns inside. I've used soft glass to make cane by stuffing the mold with a blob of glass, removing it and casing more glass around the formed blob, and repeating as many times as desired. After stretching the cane out, anneal it and then slice into pieces. A source for optic molds is: http://www.steinertindustries.com
The technique is also described in Kervin's book "All you ever wanted to know about Beadmaking"...an excellent reference.
Hope this helps.
Nikki
michey

Re: thousands of flower

Post by michey »

I've never done business with these folks but they do offer 90COE murini http://www.vickreyglass.com/