Floral form drape....help!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AZ gram

Floral form drape....help!!

Post by AZ gram »

My collection of "learning" projects keeps growing. ...
I tried my first drape over a floral former (tall) and it actually worked. (10" square placed on top of form, with 7" square on top of that) (sys 96.)
The only problem is that the top, smaller square fused to the larger,bottom square instead of the two separate drapes that I see in all the photos. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to prevent this from happening.

:? :? , not discouraged!
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

So, if I have this right, you are trying to drape 2 seperate pieces, one on top of the other, without them fusing together? What temp are you going to? Never done it, but I am guessing that low and long is going to be your best bet, no higher than say 1150 and just hold til you get what you want.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Cher

Re: Floral form drape....help!!

Post by Cher »

AZ gram wrote:My collection of "learning" projects keeps growing. ...
I tried my first drape over a floral former (tall) and it actually worked. (10" square placed on top of form, with 7" square on top of that) (sys 96.)
The only problem is that the top, smaller square fused to the larger,bottom square instead of the two separate drapes that I see in all the photos. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to prevent this from happening.

:? :? , not discouraged!
The learning curve is larger than you might think! I don't think I've seen the type of vase you've described as 2 separate layers. Would you direct me to a photo of one? It sounds facinating, got to look even better! Thanks for sharing!!
>^..^<
Diane

Post by Diane »

I've done the type of draping you've described only I've offset the 2 pieces so that I have 8 points. The middle will fuse together but the 8 points will drape separately. It makes for a more interesting vase.
Don't get discouraged, play with them a little, don't always put it square to the floral former, it can make some interesting shapes
AZ gram

Post by AZ gram »

One example of the type of drape that I was attempting is at www.sunlightglass.com
AZ gram

Post by AZ gram »

Cher

Post by Cher »

AZ gram wrote:One example of the type of drape that I was attempting is at www.sunlightglass.com
Thanks AZ, just what I needed! It's beautiful to see all of that draped glass, now I'm inspired. One more lovely wannadoosoon. Now I can visualize Dianes' tip for 8 points too.
>^..^<