Dictionary

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

flashing: ridges of glass that protrude on a casting when melted glass seeps through cracks in a mold during firing. Either the agony or the glory for casters.

A "glass" dictonary might need to include a little of the ceramics vernacular, especially where there are conflicting definitions. E.g.:
frit:
A quote from a long two-paragraph definition of frit in the book "The Ceramic Spectrum by Robin Hopper: "Frit has nothing to do with the making of flat glass, glass containers, or glass lenses and is not a step inthe making of glass objects. It is not made from the crushing of glass products."

Nikki
Geri Comstock

Re: Who knows??

Post by Geri Comstock »

lauri wrote:?bail
?Catcher
?Chad
?Cloisonne

can you help with these terms. all are new to me

-lauri
Bail - On a pendant the holding device used to run a chain through to hang or suspend the pendant from the chain.

Chad - a little blob of glass used to help prevent air being trapped during fusing. Chad are placed around the edges of the piece, between the laers of glass.

Cloisonne - a type of enameling (enamel on metal) in which the enamel is placed and fired between small strips of wire called "cloisons". There are other types of enamel work. This is simply the name for one particular type.

Catcher? I'm not sure what this is. Do you mean "Catch"? If so, a catch is the fastening device on a chain that allows the wearer to open it and close it again so it can be worn. Also called a clasp. The are different types of catches, lobster clasps being an example of one type.

Geri
Last edited by Geri Comstock on Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charlie

Re: Who knows??

Post by charlie »

lauri wrote:?bail
?Catcher
?Chad
?Cloisonne

can you help with these terms. all are new to me

-lauri
bail: from webster: bail(5) a supporting half hoop. in the jewelry world, a loop of metal attached to something to allow it to be hung.

chad: from webster:small pieces of paper or cardboard produced in punching paper tape or data cards;. in the glass world: small bead of glass used to raise a sheet of glass up to allow air to escape from the edge whilst the top sheet is slumping down onto a lower sheet of glass.

cloisone: http://www.cnarts.net/eweb/KnowArts/jingtl/

to find definitions, try http://webster.com
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

What about a dictionary about the different TYPES of glass:

Float glass
Pyrex
soft glass/hard glass

I do see a lot of similar explanation in the tutorial, but if we were to do a complete dictionary, I would include the explanations there as well.
Deborah
Lauri Levanto

Thanks to everyone

Post by Lauri Levanto »

The dictionary is growing nicely.
At present it has some 150 entries.
I think it is becoming useful, I'll launch the first version soon.

I still have to work out the hyperlinks between entries.

I have the British dictionary of glass by Charles Bray.
However I try to avoid copying definitions
(copyright issues, you know).
Therefore I appreciate the less strict interpretations
used here on the board.

-lauri
Lauri Levanto

Re: Dictionary

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Some nostalgia
I happened to rerad the birth pains of Warm Glass Dictionary.
It is still alive, byt apparently the only updated version is on my site
http;&&lauri.lsd.dk/lasi/WGdict.html

I am now translating parts of my site into Swedish.
That will include an English to Swedish version of the dictionary.

So this old thread popped out, The dictionary was an combined effort.
Someone there promised help if German terms are wanted.
So I wonder should I make it multi-lingual???
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

A first iteration in English, followed by translations,would save time, I think.

Terms and meanings as they are actually used is a great idea. Brad has gone a long way already.

Nikki
RHunter

Post by RHunter »

Hi All,

This thread seems to have started before my joining, however there is a gentleman who compiled a fairly comprehensive compendium of glass, called appropriately enough " A Dictionary of Glass" - materials and techniques -by Charles Bray. " the book is arranged as a lexicon of words and phrases, covering technical terms, materials, equipment, processes, and practices."
2nd edition 2001

Bray is retired head of Glass and Ceramics at University of Sunderland.

Randy
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Randy, spot on..

My husband doesn't' understand why I go to bed reading Charles's dictionary...such a wealth of info. A tome for glass. So much there.

But for a a more recent vernacular, it would be useful for definitions for currant usages for glass terms. It's surely a problem across various arts and sciences.
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Sorry,
I did not notice that the link was badly broken
http://lauri.lsd.dk/lasi/liitteet/WGdict.html

Here it is tested

-lauri