Unglazing a mold?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Unglazing a mold?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Has anyone ever taken a glazed ceramic piece and sandblasted off the glaze in order to use it as a mold?

Thanks,

- Paul
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Sort of..partially. I bought a couple of nice square plates at Cost Plus and sandblasted off the glaze; drilled vent holes (had to buy 2 glass/tile drill bits because the first one from Lowe's broke). I have kiln-washed one of them but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will try to get a test done in a couple of days (other project going on right now) and let you know. I can't think why it wouldn't work. Supposedly you can even do it without removing the glaze if you put enough kiln wash on.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

you might want to just roughen the glaze enough to hold kiln wash. it is hard to get all the glaze off of the softer clay underneath with out changing its shape. or maybe i was just heavy handed. rosanna
Glenda Kronke

Re: Unglazing a mold?

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Paul Tarlow wrote:Has anyone ever taken a glazed ceramic piece and sandblasted off the glaze in order to use it as a mold?

Thanks,

- Paul
yes. many times. no problems.
Like Rosanna suggested, just a light blast to rough up the surface so the kiln wash will stick.

go for it.
gthomson

Post by gthomson »

i've heard that glass etching cream will work. Anybody know for sure?

Glenn
charlie

Post by charlie »

it probably depends upon the specific glaze. some will, some won't.