HeLp!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mali

HeLp!

Post by Mali »

Hello!

I was using my kiln tonight (Jen-Ken Fusing/Anneling) Kiln. I placed a 4X4 piece inside and set it on low for a ramp up of 500 an hour or so. When I checked on it an hour later, it was only on 200 and the element (only has one around the side) was not on at all. It also is not cycling with those clicking noises like they do. But the red light on the manual pyrometer is on. I just used it this afternoon and it worked well. This kiln was bought new about 3 years ago, but I just started using it about two weeks ago, so it's a new kiln, barely used only about 5 times. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong. I am a novice fuser, but I have been going by the book with using it. Could I have burned something out?

:cry: I am very bummed out about this, so any help would be appreciated. :cry: My favorite toy is broken.

Thank You Kindly, Mali
· How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

Check the fuse on the controller with a meter.
Check the breaker.
Turn it on and check the leads (you have to open the controller) going to the elements - should read voltage.

No reading =broken element

(If your not use to trouble shooting power - call a friend with a meter)

Aloha
Lionel Prevost
psg@lava.net
(808)262-7771
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

1) if the digital computer is lit then the fuse if OK
2) If the relay is not clicking then A) the relay is not working or B) No power to the replay.
If you don't have a multitester then it would be hard for you to check A. For B) the programming could be wrong.
3) The element is definately working or you would not have gotten up to 200°

I do not know what controller you have but when it sends power to the relay then there is a red light that comes on when it cycles on. If the red light is coming on and off like cycling but you don't hear the relay then the relay is bad.. But then again.., if the relay is bad then you would not have gotten up to 200°.

So, I will go with the programming or else the relay broke during the firing and then the temp would be going down.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Mali

Post by Mali »

:lol: Thanks for all the advice! :lol:

I ended up calling my neighbor who is a "Mr. Fix It" sort of fellow. He took it and brought it back yesterday all fixed. I fused and slumped in it last night with no problems. Apparently some wire was loose in it, he checked out everything.

I am glad to have it back. Not only was I missing fusing every piece of glass in site, but I was worried about shipping it long distance back to the company and getting it back in one piece.

So, the patient is all better and I feel relieved it's fixed. :D

Thanks Again! Mali
· How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Wiring connections to kilns require that the connections be tight. Often the copper wire connections can be tightened more if you wait say an hour or more before retightening them.
Be sure the power is all off/disconnected.
Failing to tighten connections the second time may cause a connection to work loose over a period of time and cause a failure of the connections some months from now. Heat is the enemy, causing expansion and contraction of the element connections.
Nothing like burning up a relay to remind you of this information.
Depending on connection that was loose and the wires used, perhaps your fix it man needed or did not need to wait the hour or more and retighten those connections.
Kevin
Mali

Post by Mali »

Hello Kevin!

Yes, the Fit It Guy was telling me that Kilns can be different, along with other heated appliances because of the expansion and contraction of the unit (has an effect on them). I am not sure if he tightened twice or not, it was cooled when I gave it to him, so I imagine that will make a difference. Is this something that will need to be checked again after I use it a few times?

Thanks!
Regards, Mali :D
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

If your kiln conections are easy to observe, I would do it regularly especially with a new kiln. Watch for a change in the coloration of the connectors and take preventative action. It is easier than replacing components that have failed as usual at the most inopportune time. Remember to be sure to have no electrical power to the circuits being observed/checked etc.
Kevin