old glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

denizen

old glass

Post by denizen »

I made torchwork beads for a while about 10 years ago, then had to pack up everything to move and am finally getting everything out again so I can make beads and learn fusing and slumping.

So I've got about 50 glass rods of various colors, and I can't remember :oops: what manufacturer they're from. I kinda think they're Moretti, but maybe Bullseye... but I was under the impression they were compatible with commercial millefiore... That's right, I am confused.

Any suggestions on figuring out what I've got so I can make sure to get compatible glass in the future?

Thanks!
Lee
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

If they're 10 years old, they're almost certainly Moretti (which is compatible with most commercial millifiore). Bullseye didn't start making rods until three or four years ago.

If they're multi-colored (as opposed to solid opaques or transparents), they're almost certainly Moretti. BE rods tend to be solids.

If you're still not sure, you can do a cane pull test: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/string ... bilit.html
denizen

Post by denizen »

Thanks, Brad.
most are solid color--opaque, transparent, or opaline, but I have a couple of filigrana rods, too. I guess I wasn't quite as confused as I thought!
Lee