Favorite Glass Book?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Favorite Glass Book?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Just curious what peoples favorite glass related books are? Here are mine:

------------------------

Contemporary Warm Glass: A Guide to Fusing, Slumping & Kiln-Forming Techniques by Brad Walker

Of course this is here -- not only because this is Brad's board but because I still haven't seen a better book on the fundamentals than this one.

------------------------

Art and Technique of Pate de Verre by the Tokyo Glass Art Institute

Gorgeous book. Color photos on every page. Excellent step-by-step instructions on making everything from simple, open face molds to multipart molds -- including complex hollow vessel molds. Not as much info on glass and charging.

------------------------

The Prop Builder's Molding & Casting Handbook by Thurman James.

Ruth Brockman recommended this one. Not a true glass book but backed with great info that is applicable to glass mold making.

------------------------

Etched Glass Techniques and Designs by Norm and Ruth Dobbins

Another all color glossy book. Highly inspirational. It is strongest, imo, where they talk about how to plan and execute stencils for multi-depth carving. I'm still in awe of the photo of Barry Hood's Winterwalk entryway on page 11.

------------------------

Firing Schedules fo Glass by Graham Stone

Schedules, schedules and more schedules. A great resource when I find myself in unchartered territory.

------------------------

Jewelry: Fundamentals of Metalsmithing by Tim McCreight

Okay this isn't really a glass book -- but its still great. Like the Pate de Verre and Glass Etching books above, this is a nice, hardcover book jammed with glossy color photos.

------------------------

The Bullseye Catalog by Bullseye

Okay, technically not a book -- but who out there has this one and hasn't sat down with it just to browse it a jillion times. And you can't beat the price :)

So those are mine -- what are yours?

- Paul
molly

Post by molly »

Contemporary Warm Glass...HANDS DOWN!!! It is worth ever penny.
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

If you're into the science-y stuff, I would recommend Glass by William S. Ellis. It's non-fiction that reads like a novel (to me anyway!), written by a former National Geographic staffer. It only kind of skims the surface when it comes to art glass, but the rest of the content is stuff I haven't come across anywhere else. It combines the science and history of glass in a factual storytelling way.
Dani

Post by Dani »

I probably recommend Brad's book to more folks than any other, at least for fusing. But, my favorites are more treasures than mere books. Books like Lewis Day's Windows which is long out of print amongst other classics. The Elskus painting book, of course. And I'm still questing for an original copy of E.W. Twining's glass book. The reprint just won't do.
Phil Brown

Post by Phil Brown »

Good topic!

These aren't fusing how-to books, but I am very inspired by:

Techniques of Kiln Formed Glass by Keith Cummings (British)
WG board's Brian Blanthorn is featured several times in this beautiful book. The Pate de Verre and historical photos and info are particularly good IMO. Some interesting and provocative slumping ideas, info on pot melt pours and much more of interest to fusers/casters. I would consider it a must-have for serious kiln-workers.

Glass An Artist's Medium by Lucartha Kohler
lots of info, leans toward casting and a wide variety of other processes and away from fusing. Lots of good photos

Dictionary of Glass by Charles Bray (British)
The big overview. Kind of old school, but really excellent. Any glass worker could learn something useful.

For books about art in general I enjoy the writings of Wassily Kandinsky (personal hero) and An Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.

I look forward to the other posts here. I'm almost glad these books aren't at Barnes and Noble-I could spend my whole mortgage payment on books every month... somebody stop me!

Phil
---------
"My future starts when I wake up every morning. Every day I find something creative to do with my life." Miles Davis
Dani

Post by Dani »

Julia Cameron has a new book out called The Sound of Paper which has some neat exercises to break out of inertia or any kind of creative rut. Even if you don't do the exercises, it's a good read. Her follow-up to The Artists Way, I think, is also better than the original.
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I have three favorites, for different reasons.

1. The first book I got:
Lundstrom's 3 volumes. I read it bimonthly.
The book about what can be done.

2. The most recent booK:
The dictionary of Glass by Charles Bray. HAve read it only twice yet. A wonderful bedside book.
In addition to this I consultate a book of ceramic chemistry.

3. The maybe next one:
The book I'm writing in Finnish. That's why I took the
dictionary excercise :-)
The book about what happens in the kiln to the glass, to molds, to my eyes and fingers when I add frit to the
flower pot. NEVER above 700C.

-lauri
afilloon

Re: Favorite Glass Book?

Post by afilloon »

This brings to mind; has anyone found a source for Graham's book recently?
Paul Tarlow wrote:Just curious what peoples favorite glass related books are? Here are mine:

------------------------

Contemporary Warm Glass: A Guide to Fusing, Slumping & Kiln-Forming Techniques by Brad Walker

Of course this is here -- not only because this is Brad's board but because I still haven't seen a better book on the fundamentals than this one.

------------------------

Art and Technique of Pate de Verre by the Tokyo Glass Art Institute

Gorgeous book. Color photos on every page. Excellent step-by-step instructions on making everything from simple, open face molds to multipart molds -- including complex hollow vessel molds. Not as much info on glass and charging.

------------------------

The Prop Builder's Molding & Casting Handbook by Thurman James.

Ruth Brockman recommended this one. Not a true glass book but backed with great info that is applicable to glass mold making.

------------------------

Etched Glass Techniques and Designs by Norm and Ruth Dobbins

Another all color glossy book. Highly inspirational. It is strongest, imo, where they talk about how to plan and execute stencils for multi-depth carving. I'm still in awe of the photo of Barry Hood's Winterwalk entryway on page 11.

------------------------

Firing Schedules fo Glass by Graham Stone

Schedules, schedules and more schedules. A great resource when I find myself in unchartered territory.

------------------------

Jewelry: Fundamentals of Metalsmithing by Tim McCreight

Okay this isn't really a glass book -- but its still great. Like the Pate de Verre and Glass Etching books above, this is a nice, hardcover book jammed with glossy color photos.

------------------------

The Bullseye Catalog by Bullseye

Okay, technically not a book -- but who out there has this one and hasn't sat down with it just to browse it a jillion times. And you can't beat the price :)

So those are mine -- what are yours?

- Paul
Allen
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

The book about what happens in the kiln to the glass, to molds, to my eyes and fingers when I add frit to the
flower pot. NEVER above 700C.

-lauri
Cautionary Tales for the Kiln Worker? Lots to be found in the archives. See: Catching ones clothes on fire; Glass shards in pants; Kiln assisted hair removal... :roll:

My top ten (or less) in no particular order.

Boundaries, but Maya Lin. Any book about an artist and her approach to her work, her intentions and accomplishments are glass related. She's really amazing.

More education and good solid teaching regarding composition, design, focus...Design Basics by Lauer.

I'd be lost without my copy of Firing Schedules for Glass: The Kiln Companion by Graham Stone

First edition copy of Keith Cummings The Technique of Glass Forming (he looks like he's all of 18 in this one. An older glass working friend gave this to me when she retired her kilns...what a gift!!!

I have the next generation of that book and it has color pictures and lots of Blanthorn glass examples...Tehcniques of Kiln-formed Glass by Keith Cummings

Dictionary of Glass by Charles Bray.

and currently I am enamored with all the pictures in a book published by the Smithsonian called Skilled Work: American Craft in the Renwick Gallery. The work in this book will fill you with Awe, and make you want to work harder.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

afilloon wrote:This brings to mind; has anyone found a source for Graham's book recently?
Have you tried emailing Graham? The email address in the front of the book is stoneg@melbpc.org.au.
afilloon

Post by afilloon »

Good idea Paul - thanks for the address.

Allen
Paul Tarlow wrote:
afilloon wrote:This brings to mind; has anyone found a source for Graham's book recently?
Have you tried emailing Graham? The email address in the front of the book is stoneg@melbpc.org.au.
Allen
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

"The Art of Painting on Glass" by Albinus Elskus Republished by Glass Press and available at Whitehouse Books (a board sponsor)

"Joep Nicholas" by Claire Nicholas White. I doubt if this is in print. It is in written in Dutch, but the pictures are in color. Nicholas, in my opinion, is the greatest stained glass designer/painter of the 20th century. (rivaled only by Chagall) I'd inquire at Whitehouse as well.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards.

Drawing is still fundamental to all art be it glass or otherwise. If you think you can't draw, you should get this book and work through all of the exercises. You will be surprised just what talent you have!!!

Phil
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Graham's book? Try Artisan Books in Australia. Took seemingly, forever, like 5 or so weeks to get to North America by expedited airmail. Has to pass security clearances. (seriously the package was stamped held for inspection) I understand the book is a hot one for security clearances.
Kevin
RobinE

Graham Stone's Book

Post by RobinE »

I am interested in purchasing a copy of Graham Stone's "Firing Schedules for Glass". I looked on Artisan Books in Austrailia
http://www.artisan.com.au/

They list it for Firing Schedules for Glass. Graham Stone 225pp. 1996, & 2000 spiral $126.00

Does anyone know where I can purchase this book in the U.S. for a better price? In the link on this site, Brad mentions we may be able to purchase the book for $65 if we find a source who buys it in bulk.

Thank you
RobinE
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
http://www.robinevansstudio.com
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Graham Stone's Book

Post by Brad Walker »

RobinE wrote:Does anyone know where I can purchase this book in the U.S. for a better price? In the link on this site, Brad mentions we may be able to purchase the book for $65 if we find a source who buys it in bulk.
Well, actually, Graham used to sell the book for $65 AUS in batches of 10 or more, but he no longer sells the book at all. At any price.

The only copies that are around are occasional ones that show up in someone's back room. Not even Artisan has the book at all times.

I used to get it from him more or less regularly, but haven't in over a year. I have even tried to put out a US edition (as has Ed Hoy's) -- Graham will sometimes give permission, but never in writing and he never turns over the actual files.

It's a long sad story -- maybe one day someone will be able to publish the book (I've tried on at least three separate occasions!), but for now Graham has frustrated everyone's attempts to put out the book.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Well, the story of Graham's book is one that we can all learn from. I procrastinated and ended up paying way more for it than if I had ordered right away when WarmGlass had copies available for sale. When you see something you really know you can use, get it before it disappears. It is like visiting a Costco outlet. Once you know the codes they are using on their shelf tags you can know when an item is going to be delisted. Hint, look for the *. However, as Brad has reported, I don't think anyone had any notification of a star showing up on Graham's book.
As consolation for anyone without the book, it provides guidelines for firing but since every kiln is different, you would still need to modify the schedules based on your personal experiences with materials and equipment.
Kevin