Pattern Bar/Devit question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Gail L

Pattern Bar/Devit question

Post by Gail L »

I made a sushi platter from pattern bars. Some of the cuts were thicker than others. Prior to firing the piece it had an uneven surface, it didn't fuse totally flat and has some devit.
Would it have been better to increase the temp or increase the hold.(For the flatter surface) ( BE glass 1807-1808-0133)

The schedule I used was:
300 > 1225 H45
600 > 1490 H20
AFAP 900 H 1:30
100 <700 H 01
Off
Should I sandblast and refire for a flat surface, or just hit it with hand pads and refire, or not do any of that, and just refire to flatten it.
I know this has been asked and answered but I'm using the "historical posts not all there" as my disclaimer.
Also, I can still see the seams in the clear glass that I used.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Brock

Re: Pattern Bar/Devit question

Post by Brock »

I always dam them, upside down on a clear base, and go to 1500 for an hour. It'll be flat.
Then you have to sandblast and FP, after flipping.
Gail L

Post by Gail L »

Thanks Brock !
Going to sandblast & FP !
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Hi Brock. I'm curious...when holding at 1500 for an hour, have you had any problems with bubbles rising from the kiln shelf up into your pieces? I'm still trying to eliminate these in my higher temp projects. but haven't found the right combination of time/heat yet.

Sharol
Brock

Post by Brock »

No, never. The lay-up is not conducive to trapping air. You have pieces of PB on a solid clear base. The pieces of PB are rarely perfectly rectangular so there are gaps between them where air can escape, and the entire lay-up is surrounded by fiber paper allowing more opportunities for air to escape. I have never had a bubble in this set up.