About Devit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

osnat

About Devit

Post by osnat »

Hello everyone,

Is there a difference between Glass A and Borax?

Glaze A , Powder that mixed with water. It prevent the devit .
It does not remove the extent devit. And the fire must be more than 720 c (1328 f)

What about Borax, prevent, remove the devit? Min fire?
I have read in web (i dont remember where), the Borax i can apply just before slumping (?????)

So, to be sure, I must apply the glaze/Borax befor the first fire, fule fuse,
Most of my work includes lots of parts, and touching are.... moving parts
Do you have an idea how to do it

Thanks'
Osnat
Stephen Richard

Re: About Devit

Post by Stephen Richard »

osnat wrote:Hello everyone,

Is there a difference between Glass A and Borax?

Yes the devit sprays contain low firing glass particles. Borax is a glass flux used in glass making to reduce the melting temperatures.

Glaze A , Powder that mixed with water. It prevent the devit .
It does not remove the extent devit. And the fire must be more than 720 c (1328 f)

What about Borax, prevent, remove the devit? Min fire?
I have read in web (i dont remember where), the Borax i can apply just before slumping (?????)

Borax needs to be used at fusing temperatures. Slumping temperatures unless the temp. is held for a long time is not suitable.

So, to be sure, I must apply the glaze/Borax befor the first fire, fule fuse,

Yes.

Most of my work includes lots of parts, and touching are.... moving parts
Do you have an idea how to do it

Thanks'
Osnat
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
osnat

Post by osnat »

Thank you.
Just one more clarification .If the work is after first fire (full fuse)
and got devit, can I apply Borax and slump.

Would it help to remove the Devit?
Thanks
Osnat
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

No, the slumping temperature is too low for the flux (borax) to work. A second firing to tack fuse temperatures is required to remove the devit.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Ric Rokosz

Post by Ric Rokosz »

osnat wrote:Thank you.

Thanks
Osnat

Use nail polish remover to get rid of the devit after the first firing/slumping.If you're concerned about any chemical residue on the surface just rinse the glass with any dish water cleaner or the like.

Ric
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Ric,
How do you use the nail polish remover - by itself, dry and then slump?? I've never heard of using this and am interested in learning about it. Thanks.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Ric Rokosz wrote:

Thanks
Osnat

Use nail polish remover to get rid of the devit after the first firing/slumping.If you're concerned about any chemical residue on the surface just rinse the glass with any dish water cleaner or the like.

Ric
If regular old nail polish remover gets it off, it's not devitrification.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Ric Rokosz

Post by Ric Rokosz »

Morganica wrote:
Ric Rokosz wrote:

Ric
If regular old nail polish remover gets it off, it's not devitrification.
My experience has been on fused/slumped pyrex glass where a white powdery material was on the surface after reaching 750 deg C and holding it there for about an hour - the longer I held the glass at that temp the more severe the white powder got (the glass was clean/clear before it went into the kiln).The only thing I found to take off the white powder was nail polish remover.Turpentine didn't,nor did paint remover solutions (organic and not), nor waxes,erasers,windex.Never have used the "art" type glasses as from Bullseye and the like so glasses may differ.The nail polish remover I used came from WalMart so am unsure if only THAT combination of chemicals in their solution did the removal and other brands might have different formulas.Just try it and let us know if it works on other glasses.......As for using it just apply as a fluid state after the item comes out of the kiln (cool),let fluid soak for a second,wipe off - just like doing nails....

I've aked the question before and got no answer - anybody else actually tried using nail polish to remove devit??? What did you see..?

Ric
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

There is only one liquid that could possibly remove devitrification on glass and that is hydrofluoric acid. I don't recommend you try it, as this substance sits on the danger list just below nuclear power.

So if nail polish remover (which is acetone) removed something on your glass, it wasn't devitrification.

Glass is defined as being a noncrystalline solid. Devitrification is what happens when crystals grow on the glass surface.

The best strategy is always to avoid devit. I have seen it seem to go away when clear coated, but I have also seen it not go away. Sandblasting will remove it.

Uncleanliness is a big promoter of devit. The crystals start to grow on the schmutz. It takes a very aware eye to really clean glass well. That said, there are formulas for glass making that make the glass more or less prone to developing devit.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Ric Rokosz wrote: My experience has been on fused/slumped pyrex glass where a white powdery material was on the surface after reaching 750 deg C and holding it there for about an hour - the longer I held the glass at that temp the more severe the white powder got (the glass was clean/clear before it went into the kiln).The only thing I found to take off the white powder was nail polish remover.Turpentine didn't,nor did paint remover solutions (organic and not), nor waxes,erasers,windex.Never have used the "art" type glasses as from Bullseye and the like so glasses may differ.The nail polish remover I used came from WalMart so am unsure if only THAT combination of chemicals in their solution did the removal and other brands might have different formulas.Just try it and let us know if it works on other glasses.......As for using it just apply as a fluid state after the item comes out of the kiln (cool),let fluid soak for a second,wipe off - just like doing nails....

I've aked the question before and got no answer - anybody else actually tried using nail polish to remove devit??? What did you see..?

Ric
Devitrification is a physical change in the composition of a glass, where it begins to form crystals at the surface, and literally stops being glass. (hence, devitrification). It's certainly not just the province of art glasses although some are more prone to devitrification than others.

You get rid of devitrification by either removing it physically, by grinding it or dissolving it in a fairly strong acid solution, or by remelting it and cooling it back into glass.

The active ingredient in nail polish remover, especially cheap nail polish remover, is acetone. Acetone doesn't dissolve glass (or they wouldn't sell it in glass bottles). Getting devitrification wet can make it look like it has disappeared,and if there are conditioning oils in the nail polish remover that leave a residue behind it might look dissolved. But it wouldn't remove it. (and yes, I've tried removing haze with all sorts of things, including acetone)

I've used waxes in mold casting that would vaporize and deposit a grey scum on the glass. That stuff can be removed with solvents such as acetone. But if acetone could remove devit, I sure as heck wouldn't apply it to my fingernails.
Cynthia Morgan

Ric Rokosz

Post by Ric Rokosz »

Devitrification is a physical change in the composition of a glass, where it begins to form crystals at the surface, and literally stops being glass. (hence, devitrification). It's certainly not just the province of art glasses although some are more prone to devitrification than others.

You get rid of devitrification by either removing it physically, by grinding it or dissolving it in a fairly strong acid solution, or by remelting it and cooling it back into glass.

The active ingredient in nail polish remover, especially cheap nail polish remover, is acetone. Acetone doesn't dissolve glass (or they wouldn't sell it in glass bottles). Getting devitrification wet can make it look like it has disappeared,and if there are conditioning oils in the nail polish remover that leave a residue behind it might look dissolved. But it wouldn't remove it. (and yes, I've tried removing haze with all sorts of things, including acetone)

I've used waxes in mold casting that would vaporize and deposit a grey scum on the glass. That stuff can be removed with solvents such as acetone. But if acetone could remove devit, I sure as heck wouldn't apply it to my fingernails.
Really odd - no one has said they have actually tried/used/tested the stuff on any glass...just..."they know"...

Well my pieces of pyrex have stayed clear for the last two years,so if it is just "llooks" you're after ,using it sure beats doing another long firing sequence...

Ric
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Ric Rokosz wrote:

Really odd - no one has said they have actually tried/used/tested the stuff on any glass...just..."they know"...

Well my pieces of pyrex have stayed clear for the last two years,so if it is just "llooks" you're after ,using it sure beats doing another long firing sequence...

Ric
Actually, I did say exactly that in my last post. I've tried it, along with denatured alcohol, "Goo Gone," LimeAway, and several other solvents. It doesn't work.

-For nail polish remover to actually remove devitrification, the products of devitrification must be soluble in acetone (the active component of nailpolish removers).
-Acetone is an organic solvent, capable of dissolving many resins, paints, varnishes, plastics and synthetic fibers.
-The products of devitrification are inorganic, primarily feldspars, silica and (I was once told) crystoballite. They won't dissolve in acetone.
-Since non-acetone removers (ethyl acetate, acetonitrile) are even weaker organic solvents than acetone, it's unlikely they'd work, either.
-Ergo, if the nailpolish remover got it off your pyrex, it wasn't devit.
Cynthia Morgan