Cats and Dogs

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

williamslaybaugh

Cats and Dogs

Post by williamslaybaugh »

This is my first picture post so I hope I get it right. These are screen printed images from photographs both are 12in x12in.
Any comments or helpful suggestions with technique would be grateful.
William
Attachments
issiplatedetailweb.jpg
issiplatedetailweb.jpg (254.42 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
issisplateweb.jpg
dawdleplateweb.jpg
Barry Gitelson

Re: Cats and Dogs

Post by Barry Gitelson »

Great work.
Barry Gitelson
Kona, HI

"Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" Hotel California - The Eagles

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Excellent job. I've been playing with screen printing to do the same thing, but I've had problems getting a good image on a screen that holds the detail when I wash it out. What did you use for ink on these?

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
williamslaybaugh

Mike,

A lot of getting a good image on the screen is tuning your exposure time. If your image detail is washing away you're probably not exposing long enough or have a bad printer giving you light transparencies. I'm also using Reusche high temp. black (3000) but am switching over to the lead free Raven black I can't really see any difference in the color density.
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

William, yes, I agree on the exposure and that is what has been giving me problems. I'm using two UV lights in a light table, but it's not enough, even at about 25 minutes exposure time. My next idea is to skip the exposure problem and just send a graphic image in to one of the screen printing supply places that sell exposed screens and at least have a proper exposed screen to work with. I just need to come up with an image that is worth spending the money on to have them burn for me. :D

Thanks for the info on what you are using for ink. I've have both the Sunshine enamels that I've bought from Brad on here and Fusing Paint that I've bought from the Kaiser web site. I haven't used either one yet but hope to soon. Any way, you have some great detail in your images.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
williamslaybaugh

Mike, getting your screens exposed for you might be a good idea, having the right equipment makes a big difference in getting good detail. You might want to also check out your local community college. I've been taking night classes to get access to equipment that I could not afford or have room for. The techniques for printing a shirt or poster are the same as printing on glass it's just your dry time is a bit longer and oh ya hotter.

I haven't used the fusing paints, Sunshine worked well but would only screen through a 150 mesh, Reusche will screen through 200 mesh.

One more tip I got from wgbb that I will pass on is that to control bubbles that lift and pull your image, dust crystal clear powder over the enamels before your fusing it's like night and day difference.

William
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Great job. Such nice, clean lines. Also good photography to capture the personalities of the animals. I'd love to screen print but so far haven't even been able to figure out how to use Photoshop to get the image appropriately ready.
Vonon