Graphics

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Faye Malench

Re: Graphics

Post by Faye Malench »

Morganica wrote:I'm actually interested in the plasterdrawing bit not just as a painting medium, but also for the embossing effect--it's a way for me to achieve dimension, texture and color at the same time. Typically I cast the plaster over a clay positive, but drawing into a block of plaster would be a lot more satisfying on multiple levels.
This is the same method and reason I was considering the sheetrock. It would be shallow and not sure it's reusable though.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I have a sneaking suspicion that the sheetrock would collapse as soon as its paper had burned off (and it might be a little coarse for fine detail work)...but it certainly doesn't hurt to try! ;-)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

One possibility I have not yet tried, is to make one piece on carved plaster.
Using this glass as original, it should be possible to
1. cast a new "precarved" plaster block. or
2, make a permanent clay mold. The clay mold needs a separator that deteriotes the crispness of the lines.

WARNING: Set the plaser mold on kiln bottom or on stilts. A large flat plaster board on a kiln shelf has a nasty tendency of breaking the shelf "

-lauri
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Off topic !
I just noticed that my last comment here was my 2000's posting.
What would be my life without this board.
-lauri