a table

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Nina Falk

a table

Post by Nina Falk »

walnut, cherry, and glass.
Attachments
side table 332.jpg
Valerie Adams

Re: a table

Post by Valerie Adams »

Posting this second piece for Nina, titled Inner Life of Trees:
Inner Life of Trees.jpg
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

thank you, Valerie.
the piece is 5 feet tall.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

The "Inner Life of Trees" at 5' tall is a major piece of sculpture! Congratulations...I wonder how much it weighs? It would be interesting to see it in an Architectural setting (eg..your house with the artist in the photo for scale.)
Do you have any technical or production facts you'd like to share?......Is this a commissioned piece?
Nina...Well done....very innovative, unique, has a gallery quality feel.....I wish there was more original work like this on this website.
Don
"The Glassman"
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Yes, Nina! Stand next to it and have Steve take a photo of you, so we can see it in scale!
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

thank you. it would certainly fit well in a corporate or public setting, although some people who have seen it in the gallery can imagine it in their homes!
will try to post a photo to show scale.
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

Don, it's not very heavy, although it may appear to have volume. it's three tack-fused pieces of glass mounted individually on the wood, which has wooden standoffs in the back.
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

I made it for a current gallery exhibit, "Visions of Nature" which I am sharing with a fiber artist and a photographer, in Bethesda, Maryland. the show is up through July 29. (Gallery B)
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

Both pieces are stunning, Nina. I love the combination of wood and glass because of the contrast. I love, love, love the sculpture Life of Trees. Hope it sells for you. I'd love to see it in a public setting where many people can enjoy it.
Take care.
Dawn
Raphael Schnepf

Post by Raphael Schnepf »

Wow Nina! Major pieces. Who's doing the wood?

Raf
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

thank you, Raf. there is a woodworker here that I enjoy working with. I hope some pieces sell so we can continue.
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

here is another photo of the tree piece, with me beside it, so you can see the scale.
Attachments
photo.jpg
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Looks great, Nina! But I think you should spread your arms up and out to match the shape of your tree. 8)
Brock

Post by Brock »

And maybe a gold lame top . . .
S. Klein

Post by S. Klein »

Some thoughts and ideas just take time. Congrats on taking the time to allow this thought to mature.
Pilchuck 2006
Pilchuck 2006
Steve Klein Studio
1650 N. Glassell, Studio U
Orange, CA 92867
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

Steve, you just made me smile. thank you for making me stay on track.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Thanks for posting the photo in context..I had originally imagined it a thicker, freestanding sculpture...though it looks great as wallpiece!!
"The Glassman"
Mary Lou

Post by Mary Lou »

Nina, that is a wonderful and interesting sculpture. What was your inspiration for this piece and does it relate to the pic that Steve posted?
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

Thank you. and yes, it does relate to the photo that Steve Klein posted. I took a workshop with him at Pilchuck in 2005, or 2006...where we were encouraged to be true to our intentions, and not get lost in sidetracks. My intention then, and for years before and since, has been to express what I imagine to be the inner life of trees. While trees appear opaque and dark on the outside, we all have feelings about trees---even children feel emotional connections to these massive beautiful living things. At the workshop I explored one possible way to express this, with a good deal of help from Els, Steve's TA that year, along with Richard Parrish. Glass is so well-suited to showing the insides of things while maintaining a connection to the outer structure. Steve had us make models..that's what you see on my table--paper models of the piece. I still want to return to it. In the meantime I am enjoying working with many overlapping layers and also with wood. of course all this is a metaphor for our own inner lives. the tree piece is about deep roots, the trunk, the fruit, all fed by the sap. one of my teachers is always reminding us to balance any spiritual growth with a strong sense of grounding.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Nina- a really interesting direction, it's hard to get wood to work well with glass. Nice stuff!