fusing 96 white streaky to clear

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jerry keller

fusing 96 white streaky to clear

Post by jerry keller »

I have a piece of 96 about 8"x10" that I want to fuse to a piece of clear 96. Normally I would go about 350 degrees to 1000, hold 8, then 350 to 1225, hold 15, then 500 to 1350, hold 45. Due to its size, I'm wondering if this is sufficient time at the holds to make sure I get a good smooth piece, with no blow-outs. I fuse on the kiln shelf, with no shelf paper.
Stephen Richard

Re: fusing 96 white streaky to clear

Post by Stephen Richard »

I would soak longer ca. 30 mins in the 650C range, and I would fire higher for shorter time (790C for 10') But I don't see why what you propose would not work. If you have worries, you can put a bit of clear frit or powder at the corners between the glass layers.
Last edited by Stephen Richard on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

If you are looking for a full fuse, 1350 is too low. I would go to 1450.
Warren
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Yes 790C/1450F would work better than 7905C - I don't even know if such a temperature can be reached outside of a volcano or the sun. Apologies for the typo.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

350 to 1050 - hold 15
150 to 1275 - hold 15
400 to 1450 - hold 15
Have done 15 inch rounds using this exact same glass and it is flawless in a Pearl-22
jerry keller

Post by jerry keller »

The fusing turned out well - but the kiln shelf left some impressions on the back side of the glass. I wanted to allow the white to be seen clearly against the clear, like clouds. Unfortunately, there are some areas of kiln shelf impressions. What do you think of sandblasting the back side, then fire-polishing it, with the good side face down? Might that ruin the good side, and at the same time, possibly still not give a good impression on the kiln shelf side?
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Whichever side is on the shelf will take on the texture of the shelf when you heat it to fire polish or fuse temps. Take your choice of side.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

Tidy up your kiln shelf with a fresh coat of KW. I use an air-brush to apply KW if it's really critical. If the shelf is small enough to manipulate, pour a glass of water over the freshly kiln washed surface to level out brush strokes. I pour and then quickly dump the excess off. Sandblast and firepolish it. Do you feel it matters that there will be 3 mm of clear in front of the streaky white? You may like it just fine after the 2nd firing.

PS: a sheet of thin-fire under the panel will make it smoother too.