Thin fire on floral form drape

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Maryar

Thin fire on floral form drape

Post by Maryar »

I used Universal Mold Coat on two stainless floral formers. Loved the way it easily coated the mold. But glass stuck to one.
If I were to use Thinfire over the coated mold, do I fold the thin fire around the floral former making sure it is secure all around?
Or can I just lay a square of thinfire flat on the floral former?
Although I thought I read somewhere that it is OK to just lay it on I have searched, can't find it now. Seems to me it would disintegrate and fall before the glass would catch it if it were laying flat.
Mary
KarunaS

Re: Thin fire on floral form drape

Post by KarunaS »

I don't think Thinfire would work; you need fiber paper.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

I've used thin fire on a stainless floral former mold for years. I just lay it flat on top of the mold, place the glass on top of that, and fire away. Never had a problem with sticking.
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

I've also done it Brad's way...worked fine.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Maryar

Post by Maryar »

Slightly larger square of Thinfire than the glass or exact size? I'm wondering about it curling up around the edges of the glass if it larger than the glass.
On the one that didn't stick, I had a donut-like circle (circle with a hole) of 1/16 fiber on the floral former. I had read somewhere that having a circle of fiber on the floral former ensures a flat bottom vase. I'm guessing that a bubble can't form as easily with the fiber helping air escape. I wanted to try it with and without the donut fiber to judge for myself. Too bad the other one stuck.
So much stuff in my head of things I've read here and there, but I don't know whether to believe myself or not when I remember it.
Thank you for your help.
Mary
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Maryar wrote:Slightly larger square of Thinfire than the glass or exact size? I'm wondering about it curling up around the edges of the glass if it larger than the glass.
On the one that didn't stick, I had a donut-like circle (circle with a hole) of 1/16 fiber on the floral former. I had read somewhere that having a circle of fiber on the floral former ensures a flat bottom vase. I'm guessing that a bubble can't form as easily with the fiber helping air escape. I wanted to try it with and without the donut fiber to judge for myself. Too bad the other one stuck.
So much stuff in my head of things I've read here and there, but I don't know whether to believe myself or not when I remember it.
The thinfire should be slightly larger than the glass. It won't curl up (at least BE thinfire doesn't), gravity makes it go down, and by the time the slump is done the thinfire has fallen apart.

I've never used a circle of fiber paper on the floral former, and am not sure how it would contribute to a flat bottom, nor do I see the purpose of the hole. At any rate, If the bottom of the vase was fused flat, then the vase will slump with a flat bottom. Generally, the vase won't sit flat if it wasn't flat after the fuse firing.

If you're really nervous about sticking, then kiln wash (or boron nitride) the floral former and use the thinfire, too.
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

I kilnwash the former and sift a fine layer of kilnwash powder on the top before each firing as an extra caution. There were tiny gaps developing in the part that was the original kilnwash coat. When I added a circle of Thinfire on the top, with a simple plate of Tekta with frit and stringer fired on, I got a haze on the clear part of the glass. This happened twice--people on this site said it couldn't happen but it did, twice.
Take care.
Dawn
Maryar

Post by Maryar »

I thought the haze came with anything that was used. Wherever it touched the kiln wash, fiber or anything else. That would be nice to have clear without the haze.
Mary