New kiln - questions

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Jane Morgan

New kiln - questions

Post by Jane Morgan »

I am not new to fusing, but these are newbie questions. I just purchased a new kiln, which I assumed had a peep hole, but it came with a 2 or 2.5 diameter window (lucky me). It also doesn't have a way of propping the lid to vent when needed. A few questions: I needed to prop the lid to vent because I had used a little hairspray and was using thinfire for this project - how do I then remove the dam piece that I used to prop the lid (it's very hot, obviously, and the gloves I have are not rated to pick up a brick at 1200 degrees F)? Also, there is a lot of heat coming through the window - should I have received some sort of plug for the window? Finally, where the straps were securing the kiln to the plywood and pallet for shipping, the kiln is slightly damaged - strap dented the outside metal casing and damaged the kiln brick such that if you touch it it crumbles. Obviously, now that the kiln is in place, I won't touch those areas, but I wonder if there is something I can do so that it doesn't get worse. These are new issues to me as my other kiln has a peep hole and a lid prop.
Thanks in advance!
Jane
Jane Morgan
Morganica

Re: New kiln - questions

Post by Morganica »

Vent with a long firebrick, the lightweight porous kind, and let one end stick out of the kiln 2-3 inches. It will be hot, but handle-able with leather or Kevlar gloves. You'll need something to shield the hand touching the handle, too, because that may be hotter than the firebrick. You can carve the firebrick into a wedge shape that lets you control the height of the opening. (wear a mask)

Most windows are inset a bit; you can fill the space with a chunk of fiber board to insulate against heat loss when you're not using the window. And if you get some kiln cement, available at good ceramics supply stores or online, you can reinforce the crumbling parts of your kiln.

But if the kiln arrived new from the manufacturer with shipping damage, I'd contact the mfg immediately and ask for help. At the least they can send you some kiln cement...
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

You can purchase a very inexpensive pair of welders gloves from Harbor Freight probably $5. to $8. Will last forever.
"The Glassman"
Jane Morgan

Post by Jane Morgan »

Thank you, Cynthia. I'll pick up some long firebrick, make a plug for the window, and contact the manufacturer.

Thanks, Don. I have some gloves, but I bet the welders gloves would be a great additional option.

Much appreciated!
Jane
Jane Morgan