Wearing gloves when cutting glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Peg

Wearing gloves when cutting glass

Post by Peg »

I've been cutting and grinding glass forever, and still frequently find I have small cuts on my fingers; I am not particularly careless, but these things happen.
For medical reasons I now cannot risk cutting myself - at least on my right hand. (I am right handed).
Is there any kind of glove that will protect me from razor sharp glass, while allowing me to handle glass relatively 'normally''? I'd need to hold the cutter in my right hand.
Thanks!
Peg
CH Glass

Re: Wearing gloves when cutting glass

Post by CH Glass »

Would those rubber-coated gardening gloves be enough protection?
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Quite some time ago, when I was doing stained glass work, I bought a roll of this green tape (looks like masking tape) that you wrapped around your fingers for protection from glass when grinding. I used it for awhile, but found that it loosened and got in the way when I was grinding small glass pieces and got wet. Using it dry would work - at least for a while. As a long term fix, it would probably become cost prohibitive, might help in the short term until you can locate something that will protect your hands better. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name of it.

Good luck with your search.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

those white gloves that art conservators and photographers use. i have also boiled plain cotton jersey gloves so they would shrink . tight fit is what you need.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Ansell make some with kevlar and different cut resistance levels.
Contact a safety supply company in your area.
Then visit and try them on.
I like fully rubberized vitriflex 66-661. There's a model there with the same number but isn't fully rubberized.
I don't think that model would allow me to cut glass.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Thanks for all the tips - I shall investigate art restorers gloves and safety equipment.. whilst also avoiding fungus by keeping my hands dry (so I think grinding may be off limits for the medium term).
Georgia Novak

Post by Georgia Novak »

It sounds like you are cutting at an angle or cutting a lot of textured glass. There is a stick...it is about 8" long x3/4x1", I cann't remember the name of it I've had it for so long. After cutting you run it along the edges and it knocks off all the razor bevels and point spurs. I use it mainly to hit the edge of the sheet I"m putting back in storage. Maybe someone else can remember the name. I looked on WC site and couldn't find it. Georgia
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

What Georgia mentioned is a carborundum stone...stained glass suppliers carry them, and they're inexpensive. You can also "swipe" another glass edge along the cut edge, and it will do pretty much the same thing (the motion is like dusting your hands off).

I have some glass-handling gloves (school-bus yellow knit with rubbery stripes all over...fit either hand) which I used while I was on Coumadin. As I recall, I bought them at the hardware store. I found them a little awkward to work in (never having worn gloves to cut glass before). A styptic pencil and New Skin liquid are handy. For grinding glass, I wear regular rubber gloves (like for housework)...saves me from all those little cuts and helps keep my skin from getting so dried out.
I checked a supplier's catalog and found a product called Power Flex Gloves, which are described as being tighter fitting and allowing more dexterity.
Last edited by Lynn g on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Personally I don't think I could cut glass with gloves on. My advice is to put the gloves on when you are cleaning the glass. This is when I get cut. My best strategy to avoid cuts is to grind the sharp edges off before I clean the glass.
Last edited by Bert Weiss on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kim Manley

Post by Kim Manley »

I too am supposed to ensure I avoid cuts on my right hand /arm for medical reasons. However, I find that when cutting with the cutter in my right hand it tends to be my left hand which is cut. Five years on I have not yet had any issues but do continue to use the arm exercises prescribed by the physio regularly.

I am careful handling sheets of glass (i.e. wear gloves), so far so good.

Glass tends to cut cleanly and is not usually particularly dirt - if you do cut your right hand use disinfectant and cover the cut.

At the end of the day, illness took some things away from me that I miss - its not going to stop me working with glass.

Kim
Keoni

Post by Keoni »

You might want to try surgical gloves, either latex or non depending on your allergies. They will stop the light cuts and little stuff, you have to press more than lightly against an edge or sliver to get a cut. The gloves will cut first and you might go through a box every so often, but they are light, allow you to handle glass, and are cheap.

Best,

Keoni
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

I have lymphedema in my left arm--my dominant hand of course. The high-protein fluid makes it easy to get bacterial infections. I am a believer in gloves. For handling half/full sheets, I use Atlas Fits gloves with a fabric top and heavy coating of rubber/latex on the fingers and palm. For grinding and assembling, I use Atlas gardening gloves--same design as the first but lighter--you can feel the glass more through the coating--eventually the tips wear off on the thumb and index finger due to grinding flubs. For cleaning, I wear dishwashing gloves for protection and to keep my hands dry. Store brand works better than Playtex because they are thinner and you get more "feel" of the glass.
Take care.
Dawn
Peg

Post by Peg »

dawnsud wrote:I have lymphedema in my left arm--my dominant hand of course.
Exactly what I am hoping to avoid!
I'm on chemo for 4 months - I think that for that period I'll have to take up a less dangerous activity - and when it's done I'll invest in gloves.
Where's the fun in my employer giving me 4 months paid leave if I can't play with sharp objects? Grrr!
Joe Lorenzino

Post by Joe Lorenzino »

The lead hand of small local company we do some specialty welding for brought to the shop today a pair of insulated welding gloves that were covered in woven, welded stainless steel chain maile. He prototyped them on the weekend after we had a conversation about gloves that could be used in the kiln. He is telling me that they are more "burn proof" than kevlar. They are a little heavy, but seem to have good dextarity and pick up qualities. They are looking at making them as a"high abrasion resistant, high temperature glove" for welders, glassworkers, etc. They are not in production YET, but are looking for interest and feedback. I have pictures if anybody want to see them. Think they would be good for cutting as well?
Vitreous Insomnious: Glass cannot sleep?? Oh Oh..... Does this mean I am going manic again??
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

My handyman used to be a butcher in a grocery chain. He gave me some woven, fabric-type gloves that are cut resistant to knifes. They're soft and flexible enough for some pretty good dexterity as far as handling/sorting glass.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I still do some stained glass (mostly military themed for our pilots) and recently at Costco they had a pack of gloves for gardening I believe . I bought them and found they worked very well with dextarity so I tried them while working and really liked them over the other gloves I have tried. They are partly rubber and cotton and made for ladies so they fit well too.
I liked them so much that this year when I saw them I bought another pack.
They protect your hands well.
:)
St
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

If I used anything other than snug exam gloves, I'd wind up getting glass in the glove eventually. I can't imagine using big heavy gloves to work with glass. I groze the glass and generally make a mess of tiny chards when I cut. I think its one of those things that you could focus on deliberately and keep a tidy workplace, wear exam gloves, and in particular be careful when selecting glass from a rack or bin of scrap.
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

Don, I thought the same thing until I tried these gloves. They are so flexible. Exam gloves puncture. When you can't afford an infection from a cut, you do what you can. And I've never had glass get inside the glove.
Take care.
Dawn