ArtPrize

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Greg Rawls

ArtPrize

Post by Greg Rawls »

This is my entry at ArtPrize in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Over 60 pieces of kiln-formed glass. The collection is 9" tall and 20" wide.

http://www.artprize.org
Attachments
WG1.jpg
Greg
Marty

Re: ArtPrize

Post by Marty »

' not ''

and looks really good too

have you entered yet? I didn't see it. Good luck, it's a pretty stiff competition but your work will be right at home with the best of it.
Sue M

Post by Sue M »

Love to see this in person and I will be at Art Prize.. it is a great program and we are so fortunate that
it takes place here in Michigan.. Can you tell me what venue your installation will be on display.
Sue
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

A gorgeous array of colors. Best of luck!

DOLORES
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Wonderful!
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

"SEA GLASS" is at DeVos Place Convention Center.
Greg
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Looks great Greg, good luck.
Bob
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

Nice work! It feels like sea anemones. I would love to see this with shadows.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

The ArtPrize preliminary votes are in! Out of 1500 entries and 174,006 votes - I made the Top 100! Voting continues and the Top 10 is announced on Sunday and voting begins again to select the winner of ArtPrize!!!!!!!
Greg
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Wow! Congrats; very well deserved and quite an honor even at this point in the voting!
Beau Lyons

Post by Beau Lyons »

Wonderful Craft,
Art should immediately impress and have an emotional recall.

This piece of work impresses, it stands out and attacts attention, good, but I do not see any emotional recall?
So it is not Art.

Here in Australia a $100,000 prize was given for a ridiculous sculpture because it had a philosophic title.
Without the title it would be seen as crap.

If the piece cannot speak for itself it is NOT art.
Beau Lyons
Sculptor for 40 years, now delving into fused glass
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

"Kiln-formed Glass: When the distinction between craft and art suddenly becomes unimportant."
Beau Lyons wrote:Wonderful Craft,

This piece of work impresses, it stands out and attacts attention, good, but I do not see any emotional recall?
So it is not Art.

Here in Australia a $100,000 prize was given for a ridiculous sculpture because it had a philosophic title.

Beau Lyons
Greg
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

ha! rosanna
Greg Rawls wrote:"Kiln-formed Glass: When the distinction between craft and art suddenly becomes unimportant."
Beau Lyons wrote:Wonderful Craft,

So it is not Art.

Beau Lyons
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I don't necessarily agree that emotion is required to define a piece as art. Emotion is a strong word in this context -- what about a "feeling"?

That being said, when I look at the bright colors and interesting shape scattered across the wall in a very pleasing arrangement, I am filled with happiness at the sight and awestruck at the shear size of the installation.

I would say happiness and awe are emotion.

Same goes for the pieces of glass I create, the pottery I buy from my favorite local potter, the fabric art of my talented friends... The colors, the luster, the texture, the pleasing shape... all of these elicit pleasure. And while they may not scream EMOTION, the beauty of the pieces certainly says Art in my mind.

Great job and good luck in the final competition.

Dana W.
Beau Lyons

Post by Beau Lyons »

Being Pretty does not make it Art.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Beau Lyons wrote:Being Pretty does not make it Art.
That's not at all what I said.

I guess those who see things in black and white will never appreciate the beauty in the shades of grey.

Dana W.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Congratulations, Greg, for me it immediately evoked emotion linked to the urgency around the need to preserve the Great Barrier Reef and its wonderful sea life. Good luck with the final count. Jen
Beau Lyons

Post by Beau Lyons »

I don't believe Greg has been anywhere near the great barrier reef?

I have been diving on Australia's great barrier reef for 50 years and I have never seen anything like that underwater.
"Preserving the great barrier reef" have you been there lately. I have been going there for 50 years, and it is completely unchanged. Why, it has nothing to do with bureaucracy or do gooders. the real reason is that the predominately S/E winds make it so hard to get to, unlike Indonesian reefs (which I have just come back from)

Also, I appreciate beauty, I just don't call beauty, on its own, ART.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Beau, when you are on the jury, you get to reject work that doesn't spark your emotional fire. Clearly, the jurors here felt differently from you.

If the standard for what is good art became absolute, the earth would stop rotating on it's axis.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Beau Lyons wrote:I don't believe Greg has been anywhere near the great barrier reef?

I have been diving on Australia's great barrier reef for 50 years and I have never seen anything like that underwater.
"Preserving the great barrier reef" have you been there lately. I have been going there for 50 years, and it is completely unchanged. Why, it has nothing to do with bureaucracy or do gooders. the real reason is that the predominately S/E winds make it so hard to get to, unlike Indonesian reefs (which I have just come back from)

Also, I appreciate beauty, I just don't call beauty, on its own, ART.
I didn't say "It looks like the Great Barrier Reef." I reported what it made me think about. As for the reef being completely unchanged in the last 50 years, are the newspaper reports of damage done by tankers going off-course and scraping the reef, of damage done by coastal runoff from farming practices and industrial expansion all untrue, then?

Nor did I wade into the Art v Craft debate. I congratulated Greg on his achievement and wished him well in the voting. Jen