WGW 2004?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lisa Allen

WGW 2004?

Post by Lisa Allen »

Just curious if a date and place have been decided on for WGW this year. My vote is still for Chicago coinciding somehow with SOFA, but I would likely go anywhere..... Anyone know anything yet?

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

I'm already getting applications for Fall shows and wondering if I will be available for the show... It seems early, but it's not really for planning shows and vacation time and the like.

Brad and Jody, I hope you are planning a new WGW and that this all works out to support you so that an annual conference is more than a labor of love??? Labors of love are good and rewarding, but income helps too!

Linda
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brad and Jody, I hope you are planning a new WGW and that this all works out to support you so that an annual conference is more than a labor of love??? Labors of love are good and rewarding, but income helps too!

Linda

I agree. This board and all the related activities, conferences, magnets, calendars, who knows what's next, have become an indespensable resource, and I think it may be time to form an association. I wanted to have this adressed at the last conference, and some time was put aside to discuss it, but it wasn't well attended, due to conflicting presentations.

One possible way of doing it is an annual fee for anything other than just using the board. Anyone may read and post, but if you want to participate in other activities, as above, then you pay dues. The dues go to Brad for operating costs and to ensure the board exists.

I never thought I would propose paying for something that is available gratis, but I would in this case.

Any other ideas about this out there?

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Brock wrote:Brad and Jody, I hope you are planning a new WGW and that this all works out to support you so that an annual conference is more than a labor of love??? Labors of love are good and rewarding, but income helps too!

Linda

I agree. This board and all the related activities, conferences, magnets, calendars, who knows what's next, have become an indespensable resource, and I think it may be time to form an association. I wanted to have this adressed at the last conference, and some time was put aside to discuss it, but it wasn't well attended, due to conflicting presentations.

One possible way of doing it is an annual fee for anything other than just using the board. Anyone may read and post, but if you want to participate in other activities, as above, then you pay dues. The dues go to Brad for operating costs and to ensure the board exists.

I never thought I would propose paying for something that is available gratis, but I would in this case.

Brock
I agree. A warm glass association is probably a good idea, especially when there are over 1500 people signed on this board....and that doesnt include the other 1500+ that I would assume are lurkers. I would imagine the cost of operating this resource is growing as rapidly as it is gaining membership.

As for the next conference, Chicago might be a little hard during the SOFA show since it might be hard to procure rooms and conference space at that time. Also, does Chicago have any easy to reach resouces and available studios for workshops? I vote for Portland or Seattle in September/October....plenty of rooms, the weather is perfect and there is the best resources that can be had anywhere....hands down.

Doug
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Brock wrote: I agree. This board and all the related activities, conferences, magnets, calendars, who knows what's next, have become an indespensable resource, and I think it may be time to form an association. I wanted to have this adressed at the last conference, and some time was put aside to discuss it, but it wasn't well attended, due to conflicting presentations.

Brock
I concur.

While it adds more "structure" to the group, a WarmGlass Association would enable us to relieve some of the burden from Brad and Jody by forming an events committee that could scope out locations, rates, schedules, etc for the conference. I'm all for it.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

makes sense to me. rosanna
Dayle Ann

Post by Dayle Ann »

I'd love it if there were a Warm Glass Association (or whatever, make it sound professional...). I've been thinking its time for one. I'd join in a heartbeat.

WGW 2004: I'm hoping for Portland! That way I can visit my daughter and grandchildren Hee hee. And save $ on room & board. I just married a house and have to support it, including some house medical bills before I even move in. Yikes.

Dayle Ann
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I have to agree here as well. I think an association will bring a kind of cohesion to our group. It will make us appear more professional. I will help in anyway I can in forming the group.

Amy
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

This is a great resource and I am also willing to sign up and pay my dues. I'm looking forward to my first WGW and will happily go where ever it is. I share Linda's concern that applications for fall shows are due soon and knowning a date would be very helpful.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Dayle Ann wrote: WGW 2004: I'm hoping for Portland! That way I can visit my daughter and grandchildren Dayle Ann
Dayle Ann,
I am sure a few of us can throw our support towards Portland if you put us up also.. a big slumber party.

Or the serios side,,,, I join the argreement here about joining up in payment, support, and helping.

Stuart
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

I concur. This topic has been discussed many times over the past two years, but never went anywhere. It seems now is the appropriate time to move forward. Like Tony said, in organizations you have committees and sub committees to do the work and research. This would eliminate Brad and Jody having to do everything. Count me in!

Avery
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

:?: So what exactly would the association provide for the member? Would it be like GAS where there is a conference you can attend if you pay your dues? Quarterly newsletters and a yearly publication of Who's Who and who's doing what -so to speak?

I am ambivalent about an association being formed, mostly because I am unclear about what it will provide it's membership.

Does Brad not realize an income from the creation and management of this board through paid sponsorship and the sales of his books? If not, has a subscription for use on the boards been considered? What would the difference be between subscription to the board and a Warm Glass Association attached to this board? It appears I have more questions than suggestions about the value of an association.

I vote Portland and Seattle is a close second.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Cynthia wrote::?: So what exactly would the association provide for the member? Would it be like GAS where there is a conference you can attend if you pay your dues? Quarterly newsletters and a yearly publication of Who's Who and who's doing what -so to speak?

I am ambivalent about an association being formed, mostly because I am unclear about what it will provide it's membership.

Does Brad not realize an income from the creation and management of this board through paid sponsorship and the sales of his books? If not, has a subscription for use on the boards been considered? What would the difference be between subscription to the board and a Warm Glass Association attached to this board? It appears I have more questions than suggestions about the value of an association.

All of that, and more, is what must be determined.

I vote Arrowmont, or Asheville, somewhere in the south. Nowhere else is going to have the facilities of Seattle or Portland, but it's a Conference we're talking about. The workshops are incidental. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Oh, Asheville sound good too. I like the idea of having it in the south....

As far as an association, I would join in a minute. Member benefits aside, I would just like to help Brad and Jody with the financial and planning issues so that we can keep having the conference annually, without it burdening them so much.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Cynthia wrote::?: So what exactly would the association provide for the member? Would it be like GAS where there is a conference you can attend if you pay your dues? Quarterly newsletters and a yearly publication of Who's Who and who's doing what -so to speak?

If nothing else, the association would provide additional support for Brad for maintaining the WGBB which, you have to admit, is an invaluable resource. It is also much more than some other glass organizations offer. An annual conference for members is a definite plus. I don't need another magazine or newsletter, but those could be available online to the members as well. The run-of-the-mill membership lists, calendar of events and discounts at member retailers and distributors are technicalities.

As far as location, while it would be nice to have it in Chicago at one end of SOFA or the other (not necessarily overlapping), I'll go anywhere for a WarmGlass conference.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
charlie

Conferences

Post by charlie »

if it's just a matter of holding a conference, there are many places in the country that specialize in holding conferences. orlando, san diego, chicago, phoenix (in the springtime), san francisco, las vegas, come immediately to mind. these places are set up to hold conferences and it's usually very reasonable to work with largish resorts in these places in order to drive down costs. it doesn't have to be in a glass-centric place, unless of course, workshops, visits to factories, or other non-conference related activities are additional requirements.
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Well, I guess if nobody wanted workshops, classes, factory tours, gallery tours etc...then just about anywhere would be good enough.....Can't wait to see Dollyworld and eat chitlins and okra anyway...I'd be there.
But I still vote for Portland as 1st choice!
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I would vote for Portland too for all of the above reasons--plus the bonus of getting to see new products in person (a great luxury for those of us living in the boondocks who have to order everything without seeing it first), see the new Bullseye Connection, watch demos etc. Could combine it will picking up a big huge order which would be a plus! I agree with Cynthia too that I would like to know a bit more--I'm not much of a organization joiner as in the past I have been disappointed by the results. Of course I would want to help out Brad and Jody though.
Amy
Diane

Post by Diane »

I'll go where ever the conference goes, name the date and place and I'm there. Can we have another birthday party too? :lol: I promise not to dance on the chair again
(a recent physic visit told me I'd be traveling to the southwest in the early fall)
As far as the Association is concerned, I'm all for that too. Brad and Jody have worked there $^@ off for this board, it's time we all kicked in and took some of the burden off from them.
Diane
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Diane wrote:I'll go where ever the conference goes, name the date and place and I'm there. Can we have another birthday party too? :lol: I promise not to dance on the chair again
We can pretend it is my birthday! I for one would be hugely let down if you guys didn't dance on the chairs again. That was a great night.

Lisa
Lisa Allen