Looking For Draping Advice

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Looking For Draping Advice

Post by Randy W »

I want to try draping a single layer of glass over a 4" diameter by 7" tall stainless steel mold.
Can someone please help me out with a firing schedule ?

Thanks, Randy
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Depends on a bunch of variables Randy, but generally speaking for a single layer drape you can ramp up to 1000 in an hour, then afap to target temp, then a half hour of annealing in you have pleats touching, more if the glass folds onto the kiln shelf. As to the target temp, you will have to do some trial and error. It will be established by what you want, the type, shape and size of glass as well as the kiln you use. I can tell you for most drapes, it will be far far below tack fusing temps by at least a few hundred degrees. Be prepared for some note taking and fun, and keep an open mind. Often I get something far more interesting than I wanted in the first place.
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Randy,

Are you talking about the mold being something line a floral former only bigger around? I drape over floral formers with a singel layer of glass all the time. I ramp up at 500 dph to about 1225 and hold until I get the drape I am looking for. Anneal. 1225 depends on the glass sometimes it is a little higher sometimes lower. I do a lot of peeking after 1175. Hope this is some help to you.
Nanc
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Thanks Nancy and Tony for the tips. I fired at 800° per hour to 1225°. I put in a thirty minute hold. I got a call from a customer and didn't get back to the kiln until 15 minutes into the hold. I had the draping cone resting on two pieces of kiln furniture.

The bad news is the glass was draped all over the kiln furniture and onto the kiln shelf, so it was ruined. The glass was locked on to the cone and I had to break it off with a hammer.

The good news is the call I got lead to a job for two beveled panels for a front door. :D

We'll give it another try soon. Maybe next time I'll switch on the answering maching.

Randy
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.